Our valued sponsor

Thailand new change - world wide income at Thai tax levels to be taxed

But you need to 1) make a huge low-interest bank deposit, 2) are required to purchase real estate (which you are then morevoer not allowed to dispose over the next 10 years) and 3) have to stay at least 90 days per year in Malaysia

Required bank deposit: 150k USD - 1 MM USD (depending on desired via length)
Required property purchase: 600k MYR - 2 MM MYR (depending on desired via length)
Required minimum stay in Malaysia: at least 90 days

(MM2H 3.0 – Here to Stay! | Skrine - Advocates & Solicitors)
while not cheap, you can keep the deposit and can live in the apartment you buy and own.

Reactions: jafo
while not cheap, you can keep the deposit and can live in the apartment you buy and own.
True, however another problem could be that it is not clear if a) all remitted income is tax free or b) only remitted income for the mandatory deposit. If you for example look at this - Revised MM2H Guidelines: Categories, Requirements, and Benefits -, then it says only:

"Tax exemption is provided on funds brought in as fixed deposits"

In the previous link I quoted it did not have this restriction, but they might just have omitted this for simplification. I do not know.

50% of bank deposit can be withdrawn after MM2H approval for stuff like the property purchase

And yes there are some conditions, but in exchange, you keep living in a territorial tax country. Meaning no tax on foreign sourced income
Not sure on the extent of non-taxation of remitted foreign income. See my post I just made one above

True, however another problem could be that it is not clear if a) all remitted income is tax free or b) only remitted income for the mandatory deposit. If you for example look at this - Revised MM2H Guidelines: Categories, Requirements, and Benefits -, then it says only:

In the previous link I quoted it did not have this restriction, but they might just have omitted this for simplification. I do not know.

Not sure on the extent of non-taxation of remitted foreign income. See my post I just made one above

Always the same in Southeast asia, ex Singapore, its all a mismanaged mess.

That refers to tax exemptions on income inside of Malaysia, such as interest from the local fixed deposits.

Foreign income is not taxable.

Here you can find this official document released by the ministry.

It states the following: "Pengecualian cukai ke atas dana yang dibawa masuk seperti FD," which, according to Google Translate, means "Tax exemption on funds brought in, such as FD."

Most, if not all, news outlets interpret it as "Foreign-sourced income keeps being tax-free." Obviously, everything is open to interpretation, and things can change at any moment in SE Asia.

But if we change the wording to something like "Entrance fee exemption for people from Western countries, such as France," it's clear that this means that all people from Western countries are exempt from the entrance fee. France as an example.

Reactions: A2934
That refers to tax exemptions on income inside of Malaysia, such as interest from the local fixed deposits.

Foreign income is not taxable.
Where does it say that for MM2H visa holders in its latest incarnation foreign income in general is not taxable, regardless of if it is remitted or not, please?

That would then need to be a special exemption for MM2H holders because, subject to various mostly temporary exceptions, this is not the case for non-MM2H tax residents (https://www.hasil.gov.my/media/fzof...-received-from-abroad-amendment-june-2024.pdf).

So where does it say that for MM2H visa holders in its latest incarnation foreign income in general is not taxable, regardless of if it is remitted or not, please?

Here you can find this official document released by the ministry.

It states the following: "Pengecualian cukai ke atas dana yang dibawa masuk seperti FD," which, according to Google Translate, means "Tax exemption on funds brought in, such as FD."

Most, if not all, news outlets interpret it as "Foreign-sourced income keeps being tax-free." Obviously, everything is open to interpretation, and things can change at any moment in SE Asia.

But if we change the wording to something like "Entrance fee exemption for people from Western countries, such as France," it's clear that this means that all people from Western countries are exempt from the entrance fee. France as an example.
Thank you for this. Yes, having now had a chance to look at it, the full text sounds even more promising:

KELEBIHAN PROGRAM
Pengecualian cukai ke atas pendapatanpesisiran (offshore income) dan dana yangdibawa masuk seperti FD.

which translates to something like:

ADVANTAGES OF THE PROGRAM
Tax exemption on income (offshore income) and funds that brought in like FD.

Thank you.

Reactions: ecool
Do you like gambling?
yes, otherwise id never be in southeast asia, not even as tourist. ;)

What do you think of Thailand's LTR Visa?

If you do invest 500k$ in thai real estate either for personal use, or as an investment(yes, probably better to stick it into ETFs) do you think the tax exemption for 10 years will actually be honored?
no.
But in the end it doesnt matter much ;) since you gotta be flexible and dont let you root down there at only one place.
As a bloody foreigner, you can be gone within a week for whatever reason they come up with.

As a bloody foreigner, you can be gone within a week for whatever reason they come up with.
So, correct me if I am wrong...

An intelligent person would then adopt a Modus Operandi like this:
They basically rent, keep their funds out of the local grasp, milk it all they can, and enjoy the local fruit while it lasts.
Would this be correct, or did I miss something? :rolleyes:

Reactions: JackAlabama
So, correct me if I am wrong...

An intelligent person would then adopt a Modus Operandi like this:
They basically rent, keep their funds out of the local grasp, milk it all they can, and enjoy the local fruit while it lasts.
Would this be correct, or did I miss something? :rolleyes:
I was in criminal court earlier this week

The Goverment sent an immigration officer along - there was two cases (separate, one being trialed) they were insisting on seeing the criminal charges applied.

For the perp I’d seen his records at CIB previously - marked as dangerous, in another country a friend has friends who are FEDs and as he had a case against an associate there they also informed him off the record the perp in my case was flagged for narcotics, when the perp was arrested he was taken down by the Thai narcotics division.

I don’t actually know what’s going on outside of my cases but I know for a fact with an off record discussion with the immigration officer - they want the guy - or someone else wants the guy - but their inlet is weak - my case being a round about way for a inlet.

In Thailand if you keep your head down you are ok - but the moment you run into an issue - they dig around to try and get some avenue to hook on to.

What do you think of Thailand's LTR Visa?

If you do invest 500k$ in thai real estate either for personal use, or as an investment(yes, probably better to stick it into ETFs) do you think the tax exemption for 10 years will actually be honored?
You can do investor visa for less and own half a rai

Still, you can get by if you have connections/money.
Trust me when i say -> that's not always the case, and increasingly isn't -> my wife’s uncle is chief of police for one division, he won't do anything that would jeopardize his retirement -> in 2014 a new youthful lot came into the system and a lot of the older corrupt have been retiring... its a natural cleansing.

In addition theres stiff penalties/prison terms for corruption these days.

To be frank - to live in a “Thailand like country of old” -> Cambodia

Last edited:

Correct me if I understand this wrong.

Today: basically as long as I trade stock/crypto etc on foreign exchanges, being a tax resident only in Thailand (moved out of my country 20+years ago) I could send any profits to my bank account in my home country without paying any tax? Legally?

Tomorrow (considered law change): no matter where I send the profits, I would need to pay tax in Thailand?

Anytime: Any savings before 2024 can always be brought into Thailand tax-free

Correct me if I understand this wrong.

Today: basically as long as I trade stock/crypto etc on foreign exchanges, being a tax resident only in Thailand (moved out of my country 20+years ago) I could send any profits to my bank account in my home country without paying any tax? Legally?
yes wherever except Thailand.
Tomorrow (considered law change): no matter where I send the profits, I would need to pay tax in Thailand?
yes
Anytime: Any savings before 2024 can always be brought into Thailand tax-free
yes

But keep in mind, its a lawless jungle like anywhere in southeast asia (ex Singapore) plus you have 0 rights as a foreigner. So you need to adopt to this reality and interpreting written codes might not yield the outcome what it would in your western home.

Reactions: jafo and blanco