Our valued sponsor

Bank account in Jersey

I already have with them, just wanted something from IoM, Jersey etc.

How did you proceed with HSBC SG ? through their app or online ?
I went through their app - easier because it has the entire onboarding process with taking photos of your passport etc built in, and then a day or two later some guy contacted me from their call center.

I went through their app - easier because it has the entire onboarding process with taking photos of your passport etc built in, and then a day or two later some guy contacted me from their call center.
And what did they want thereafter?
Did you need to travel somewhere or visit a branch?

And what did they want thereafter?
Did you need to travel somewhere or visit a branch?
Nope, all online or phone. The call was mostly to say they are processing my stuff and to verify my details. A bit of back and forth email later because they wanted a utility bill in english which I couldn't produce but they ended up accepting my HSBC Jersey bank statement as proof of address.

Reactions: JackAlabama
Nope, all online or phone. The call was mostly to say they are processing my stuff and to verify my details. A bit of back and forth email later because they wanted a utility bill in english which I couldn't produce but they ended up accepting my HSBC Jersey bank statement as proof of address.
ah thats pretty cool to know.
Do you need to apply for a certain tier with HSBC SG or do they open one with a lowly balance as well?

ah thats pretty cool to know.
Do you need to apply for a certain tier with HSBC SG or do they open one with a lowly balance as well?
You don't apply for a tier or anything like that but I think you need to have some minimum balance if you aren't an HSBC Premiere customer. I had to have a minimum balance for Jersey and then HSBC I guess treats what you have across all accounts as a minimum

You don't apply for a tier or anything like that but I think you need to have some minimum balance if you aren't an HSBC Premiere customer. I had to have a minimum balance for Jersey and then HSBC I guess treats what you have across all accounts as a minimum
Ok got it. Yeah that sounds reasonable.

Got the app, selected my country and again not accepted, haha, bad luck again. I see Poland and a few other EU countries are listed but not mine.

So for those who already have an account with Barclays International how did you proceed with opening it ? Where do you reside ?

I would like to open an account with them but it seems impossible, I have EU citizenship and I live here.

I think I have said in other threads they don't do new accounts for EU folks. You need to be mostly from expat communities of the UK outside the EU. So we are talking Nigeria, Pakistan, India, Lebanon, Ghana, South Africa etc etc. This is mostly due to historic reasons when Barclays was big in Africa and the fact Barclays has operations in certain countries like Pakistan, South Africa etc. They also accept from non-EU developed countries where they have operations such as Switzerland etc. There is no hard and fast rule on countries they accept however as that would be a business and compliance decision.

But Jersey still levies a withholding tax on interest and dividends for Individuals, doesn't it?

No

Where did you reside when you opened the account with them ? (if you can tell)

Maybe their policy has changed and they don't accept certain countries anymore.

Bahamas and yes policy changed around brexit time for some reason where they stopped taking new accounts