Our valued sponsor

Corporate tax residency rules - using Jersey as an exxample

At the moment the renewed tax rules are purely ‘ideas’…. There’s a consult ongoing with residents and the island is getting push back, as one long term resident said to me, it’s Sark! Anything takes a decade…. Can’t see it happening any time soon.

There is personal tax but you get a choice of worldwide income (with a cap) or you pay a multiplier of your property tax. Average combined bill for the year for a modest house about £1.6k and you do get a receipt from the tax collected with a stamp and TIN number.

It’s not for everyone but in summer it’s very scenic with lots of nature and great local seafood in addition it’s 30mins on the ferry to Guernsey where you have a full UK high street, makes it liveable. Flight is 40mins from LGW you can easily get to sark quick than Cyprus or Malta in summer. In winter it’s a different beast…. Essentially a damp muddy rock with limited ferries and if the weathers bad you can get stuck.

I bounce between Sark & Monaco but that’s mainly due to my business, i think a combined Sark and maybe Spain plus a bit of time somewhere else is a decent plan, bounce in and out over the summer ideally doing 90 days then spend up to 183 days in spain as I believe they are now using this system to determine tax residency then 3 months travelling in the winter.

Sark is my centre of economic interest, there’s a HSBC on the island….

There’s a doctor on island but you need private medical (about £100 per month for a Channel Island policy).

Post Brexit it’s probably the easiest move on a UK passport and the more I look for alternative solutions the more I think it’s one of the best deals out there, certainly in an English speaking, first world kind of way.

Feel free to PM me if you need any more info

@Barney2201 I heard that for non-UK citizens/residents, things can get messy/complicated when trying to establish a presence (buy land, a house, etc) on Sark. There's some good stuff on the internet about the future plans on the island, led by Swen Lorenz's investment project in tandem with the head of the island (if I'm correct), who'd be buying the chunks of land owned by the Barclay brothers (owners of the Telegraph) in order to develop them.

As a non-UK person, what is the realistic chance of moving/relocating there? Thanks.

NVO

Reactions: ilke