Our valued sponsor

Technically, Coinbase is correct! Not your keys, not your coins!

jafo

Mentor Group Gold Premium
May 13, 2022
Earth
Visit site
1709915569338.png

This is rather symbolic! It's technically Coinbase's Bitcoins rof/%rof/%rof/%rof/%rof/%

PS. Someone sent this to me.

It's something one really needs to think about. I put all my assets on a Ledger, and then I know what I have and can move around or pay with it as I PLEASE.

• Love
Reactions: jafo
  • Haha
Reactions: jafo
You can store your cryptocurrencies in a personal private wallet (example Ledger or Trezor).

You can use only one part on exchange for quick sales or trading.

View attachment 6758
Worst advice ever, Trezor and Ledger might keep your crypto safe, but that cannot be said for your private information, and that's more valuable than whatever you have in the usb stick. People got kidnapped last time their information was leaked, many such cases. It takes 200 dollars and 30 minutes of your time to set-up a smartphone running Ubuntu Touch or Sailfish OS and the privacy that comes with it is priceless.

Why would you recommend dead distro which had its support by canonical dropped already in 2015 and since only maintained by few community members . Also it lags years behind in updates . Sailfish os isnt open source it just relies on open source components. And why would you rely on a sole finnish company to provide updates . Why would you use an smartphone as wallet you are just creating a lot of attack surface . Just get Keystone . everything is open sourced .

And also Ubuntu touch relies on a version which is around 4 years old with public exploits . ...

Why would you recommend dead distro which had its support by canonical dropped already in 2015 and since only maintained by few community members . Also it lags years behind in updates . Sailfish os isnt open source it just relies on open source components. And why would you rely on a sole finnish company to provide updates . Why would you use an smartphone as wallet you are just creating a lot of attack surface . Just get Keystone . everything is open sourced .

And also Ubuntu touch relies on a version which is around 4 years old with public exploits . ...
Wanted to write somewhat similar response, but you beat me to it. Never understood people that recommend smartphones to store crypto.

Worst advice ever, Trezor and Ledger might keep your crypto safe, but that cannot be said for your private information, and that's more valuable than whatever you have in the usb stick. People got kidnapped last time their information was leaked, many such cases.
Don't use your name and address when ordering/buying a hardware wallet. Simple.

True.

Cold wallet is secure but single purpose solution.

People need a versatile and multi purpose solution with highest possible security - and any what we are - biometrics - auth methods aren't secure, they are just comfortable.

The 2FA/MFA defeats the purpose if set-up on the same platform were wallet resides even if it's hypotheticaly the most secure.

Every functional system is a compromise between safety and usability.

Worst advice ever, Trezor and Ledger might keep your crypto safe, but that cannot be said for your private information, and that's more valuable than whatever you have in the usb stick. People got kidnapped last time their information was leaked, many such cases. It takes 200 dollars and 30 minutes of your time to set-up a smartphone running Ubuntu Touch or Sailfish OS and the privacy that comes with it is priceless.

SailfishOS is effectively vendor locked to SONY Xperia and not secure as advertized. Ubuntu touch may become a better solution as it supports OnePlus and FairPhone among other vendors. Not mature for production use.

There are other O/S solutions designed for security, privacy and anonymity. It all boils down to application ecosystem and usability.

True.

Cold wallet is secure but single purpose solution.

People need a versatile and multi purpose solution with highest possible security - and any what we are - biometrics - auth methods aren't secure, they are just comfortable.

The 2FA/MFA defeats the purpose if set-up on the same platform were wallet resides even if it's hypotheticaly the most secure.

Every functional system is a compromise between safety and usability.

SailfishOS is effectively vendor locked to SONY Xperia and not secure as advertized. Ubuntu touch may become a better solution as it supports OnePlus and FairPhone among other vendors. Not mature for production use.

There are other O/S solutions designed for security, privacy and anonymity. It all boils down to application ecosystem and usability.
Ubuntu touch runs on 20.04 which has public exploits . 2nd there very few wallets that support arm architecture . Ubuntu touch is a dead project .You will just run into issues with software compatibility issues . Just use GrapheneOS: the private and secure mobile OS if you care about privacy on your phone

there are only like 2-3 wallets that support arm architecture . And they are all unmantained and old builds . GitHub - dikel/ubitcoin: Simple Bitcoin Cash wallet for Ubuntu Touch

These wallets are made by one person . Mostly non existing test coverage . Its just bad

Why would I not? Is Canonicals involvement a new unit of measure I somehow missed? Because last time I checked Ubuntu Touch is supported by UBports foundation and it has over 8000 community members working on it, so what you just said makes absolutely no sense to me, why are you spreading misinformation?
And it is not years behind in updated, OTA-4 was released this January and OTA-3, 3 or 4 months before that, so once again I ask you, why are you spreading misinformation?

Now to SailfishOS, what does "isnt open source it just relies on open source components" mean?
Why would I not rely on a sole Finnish company for updates? You seem to be fine with relying on Ledger, a single company. I rely on Jolla because Jolla makes money selling it's products, so that tells me a bit more about where and how the development is going, not only that, but even if Jolla was to stop supporting it, I can easily move somewhere else.

It's been years and I'm still waiting for that attack surface to be attacked, meanwhile both Ledger and Trezor have had multiple leaks and people are still losing crypto to this day, because their emails and phone numbers are everywhere in the interwebz. And thank you for the suggestion but I'll stick to my smartphone.

Do you have a link with instructions on how to do this?

PS. I googled, but I am apprehensive about following unvetted links, even those provided by Google.
Ubuntu Touch has an installer, you can find more information here: UBports Installer • Ubuntu Touch • Linux Phone
Worth mentioning, at one point in the past I hired my very own developers and I've ran my own apps (crypto) since then, not sure if I've mentioned that before here in the forum, a lot of these smartphone versions might not have a wide selection of crypto apps so the best solution is to make your own.

• Love
Reactions: jafo and mraleph
Ubuntu touch runs on 20.04 which has public exploits . 2nd there very few wallets that support arm architecture . Ubuntu touch is a dead project .You will just run into issues with software compatibility issues . Just use GrapheneOS: the private and secure mobile OS if you care about privacy on your phone

there are only like 2-3 wallets that support arm architecture . And they are all unmantained and old builds . GitHub - dikel/ubitcoin: Simple Bitcoin Cash wallet for Ubuntu Touch

These wallets are made by one person . Mostly non existing test coverage . Its just bad

Even (16 - 18 - 20 etc) versions of Ubuntu are LTS, so exploits are mitigated per industry standards. With delay ;)

Neither GrapheneOS nor CalyxOS can be considered nor are secure - not just because they have integrated Google application ecosystem, which is entirely different topic.

Worth mentioning, at one point in the past I hired my very own developers and I've ran my own apps (crypto) since then, not sure if I've mentioned that before here in the forum, a lot of these smartphone versions might not have a wide selection of crypto apps so the best solution is to make your own.

Made to measure :cool: Unfortunatelly, not everybody can afford custom made items.

Let's discuss the topic and not the engineering details ;)

It's all about persistent identity and transparency achieved thru KYC. Governments lose control and legitimacy when their citizens have liberty to choose options and instruments of payment and creating wealth - and even some nominaly less important living options - watching foreign TV via satellite or IPTV etc :rolleyes:

It's something one really needs to think about. I put all my assets on a Ledger, and then I know what I have and can move around or pay with it as I PLEASE.

Non custodial and private wallet is always the best option to hold crypto assets. The problem is when you want to sell/trade them; you can't do it always privately.

It's crazy that people still keep decent amounts on Exchanges. It completely defeats the object of crypto.

Some people simply have confidence in government regulated market providers. Both KYC and non custodial wallets defeat the purpose od crypto-currencies.

Someone has already advised not to use your name and address when buying Ledger/Trezor...
Who is going to guarantee you that there won't be data leaks from crypto friendly banks/EMIs and nobody will know your wallet's address and see the balance in it?
Or that maybe your accountant "sells" your crypto-company's wallet address?
Are you sure your name won't show up on a deanonymizing tools like Arkham intelligence?

Blockchain is still missing privacy, there will be solutions for that, but for the moment every wealthy crypto guy might be at risk of being kidnapped.

Latest Threads