Our valued sponsor

Spain residency without tax residency?

There are many airbnb owners who prefer cash or bank transfer without any documents, if you rent with them outside Airbnb they may not even ask for your documents if they know you, stay you used Airbnb for a month and then changed to direct rent.
The list from Airbnb goes to Guardia civil or policía nacional depending on town or province, without a reason I really don't think hacienda will look at those records unless they are looking for you specifically.

There were so many Brits staying there before brexit for half a year at least without registering.

Being a tax resident who paid high tax and declares nothing in one year will probably raise questions indeed

What nobody tells you is the amount of Brits that get caught every year doing exactly what you've mentioned.
During Covid a lot of them came to Spain and stayed for more than 6 months and got caught.

Renting a place without documentation or a contract is only something that you can expect from a friend who has a place in Spain. I don't know anyone who will do that these days, it's too risky, especially with the Okupas situation.

You can no longer use your UK NHS card in Spain if you need medical attention, those days are gone. You'll have to pay out of pocket, or get a Spanish NIE, for that you need to go to the police where they will get your fingerprints, photo, and all your personal information.
Get a GHIC (Global health insurance card) from the NHS before coming to Spain.

Things are not what they used to, especially after Brexit, which has affected all those Brits who were living under the radar, I know a few.

Do not use your debit or credit card for more than 6 months per year, thanks to AI all transactions at any ATM, Bank, or purchases are now recorded (Hacienda has become extremely efficient and extremely nasty).

Bring a lot of cash and do not register any kind of utility bill in your name, and do not get a Spanish Sim card.

Thailand is another country were a lot of Brits were living under the radar, little by little they are all getting caught. Thai authorities are very stick nowadays.

HMRC is very docile compared to Hacienda, try to stay less than 6 months per year, better to be safe than sorry.

Best of luck!

Reactions: Lekstadt and Don
Thailand is another country were a lot of Brits were living under the radar, little by little they are all getting caught. Thai authorities are very stick nowadays.
The Thai tax rules are still very new, I don't think a they are "all getting caught". Do you have any reference for this?
, try to stay less than 6 months per year, better to be safe than sorry.
In this tread we are not talking about staying more than 6 months (when you're clearly tax resident).