Our valued sponsor

Pavel Durov Arrested France

Reactions: JohnLocke
The accusations from the French police against Pavel Durov are pretty serious definitely not something that can just be swept under the rug. But to be honest, I don’t think there’s more of that kind of activity on Telegram than there is on Facebook. For the reasons that @jafo has already described so thoroughly, it’s just that Telegram, not Meta, ends up in the spotlight.

In the end, the one who plays nice with politicians and the wealthy wins the game. It’s clear that when some of the world’s biggest capital funds have invested billions in META and not a cent in Telegram, even the last person on earth can figure out who’s going to jail for the exact same 'crimes!

The accusations from the French police against Pavel Durov are pretty serious definitely not something that can just be swept under the rug. But to be honest, I don’t think there’s more of that kind of activity on Telegram than there is on Facebook. For the reasons that @jafo has already described so thoroughly, it’s just that Telegram, not Meta, ends up in the spotlight.

In the end, the one who plays nice with politicians and the wealthy wins the game. It’s clear that when some of the world’s biggest capital funds have invested billions in META and not a cent in Telegram, even the last person on earth can figure out who’s going to jail for the exact same 'crimes!

Justice, law and morality. It's not important whether it's just, legal or ethical. He played the game, a universal one with known and common rules. There is nothing to like there. Mr Durov hasn't had a proper UBO compliance. There is a Chinese proverb - "Don't try to sail against the tides. Sail with them". Neither he had proper risk assesment and diversification - he literaly put all eggs in the same basket.

Apparently, as Pavel Durov is CEO and thus responsible person, the suspected crimes are the serious crime facilitation due to the lack of content moderation

Telegram messaging app CEO Durov arrested in France - https://www.reuters.com/world/europ...durov-arrested-france-tf1-tv-says-2024-08-24/

This may be European action in French orchestration as they are behind the initiatives for mass content scanning.
isnt by the EU DSA law gov supposed to chase the legal entity with monetary penalties rather than directly going after the director with criminal charges? may be wrong, just genuinely curious

Reactions: jafo
Durov is many things, but he is not an idiot. He knew about the case, he chose to fly to Paris. The only reasonable explanation is that he is going to strike a deal with French (or whoever they represent) and get the charges dropped so he can again freely travel in EU.

Binance CEO got 4 months instead of decades, so that is one option. I believe Durov will agree to whatever EU regulations they put on Telegram in order to be able to grow the app in some markets where he can actually make money. His biggest revenue now is coming from russia and that is not something you can capitalise well.

Reactions: zbc and jafo
He knew about the case
How do we know this? :rolleyes:

Also, this is loud cognitive dissonance for me...

I've been told so many times that Putin is my enemy...not the gender-confused purple-colored-hair people trying to extort +50% of my income. :rolleyes:

1724613336162.png

I haven't read all the charges in detail yet, so I'm just responding to what I've heard online in general: but according to this logic, Elon Musk, Zuckerberg, etc. should also be arrested because drug deals are made or criminal things are discussed on their platforms. Of course that's nonsense. But we all know that Pavel was extra focused on privacy and the bureaucrats hate that. Imagine if your whole life wasn't monitored, they don't want to think about that!

Reactions: uranium and jafo
isnt by the EU DSA law gov supposed to chase the legal entity with monetary penalties rather than directly going after the director with criminal charges? may be wrong, just genuinely curious

It's mentioned that Mr Durov has Russian, French and UAE citizenships :rolleyes: which may shed a light on this legal conundrum and explain why he wasn't arrested overseas - EAW - and under what pretense given the fact that his company is UAE entity.

This is different from legal standpoint in regards to DSA dispositions. French authorities are accusing the company and him as the CEO for crimes of omission - specific felonies that suspected persons commited thru and with his platform where his company and him as responsible person didn't performed appropriate content moderation. Ad absurd - the CEOs of T-mobile or Vodafone may be accused because they didn't moderated the GSM traffic whilst certain charming terrorist groups, OCGs and intelligence services used their cellular networks for electro-detonator cap ns2

The absurdity of EU, British and French inquisitorial accusations are obvious, though people still believe that it's in their interest not to use cash, to report any suspicious activity or person and that being wealthy means that somebody is a criminal and that they should have their share thru tax.

It's mentioned that Mr Durov has Russian, French and UAE citizenships :rolleyes: which may shed a light on this legal conundrum and explain why he wasn't arrested overseas - EAW - and under what pretense given the fact that his company is UAE entity.

This is different from legal standpoint in regards to DSA dispositions. French authorities are accusing the company and him as the CEO for crimes of omission - specific felonies that suspected persons commited thru and with his platform where his company and him as responsible person didn't performed appropriate content moderation. Ad absurd - the CEOs of T-mobile or Vodafone may be accused because they didn't moderated the GSM traffic whilst certain charming terrorist groups, OCGs and intelligence services used their cellular networks for electro-detonator cap ns2

The absurdity of EU, British and French inquisitorial accusations are obvious, though people still believe that it's in their interest not to use cash, to report any suspicious activity or person and that being wealthy means that somebody is a criminal and that they should have their share thru tax.
100%! I couldn't agree more!

-----------------------------------
Different topic...

Also, I thought all you whippersnappers out there may need a reminder on how to handle "hotties/substitutes." You don't take a plumber, electrician, maid, chef, mechanic, gardener, etc., out to a dinner date or on vacation. You pay them to do the work, LEAVE when they are done, and voilà! The same goes for "hotties/substitutes." ;)
These b1tches are a MAJOR liability! I'd rather travel with a water mocassin and viper down my pants than with these "c*m buckets of temporary and ephemeral lust." ca#"!

1724627713164.png

Never forget the following wise words:

1724627850040.png

:cool:

100%! I couldn't agree more!

-----------------------------------
Different topic...

Also, I thought all you whippersnappers out there may need a reminder on how to handle "hotties/substitutes." You don't take a plumber, electrician, maid, chef, mechanic, gardener, etc., out to a dinner date or on vacation. You pay them to do the work, LEAVE when they are done, and voilà! The same goes for "hotties/substitutes." ;)
These b1tches are a MAJOR liability! I'd rather travel with a water mocassin and viper down my pants than with these "c*m buckets of temporary and ephemeral lust." ca#"!

View attachment 7606

Never forget the following wise words:

View attachment 7607

:cool:
some very wise words right here.

Reactions: ilke and jafo

Rumble boss ‘departed’ from Europe after Telegram CEO arrest​

I wonder who else got spooked by French move.

Rumble boss ‘departed’ from Europe after Telegram CEO arrest​

I wonder who else got spooked by French move.

smi(&% rof/% We have to give him credit for being proactive and learning from the mistakes of others! ;)

A famous saying I learned in Basque while visiting relatives in Spain when I was a kid was:

cuando veas las barbas de tu vecino arder pon las tuyas en remojo.png

Which, roughly translated in English, means:

1724699981114.png

coo-:!y