Our valued sponsor

Finding a Secure, Fast, and Stable Email Alternative to ProtonMail for Use with Outlook

Where would you start to figure out how PgP works and how to install PgP to your email client?
For people not comfortable with a CLI, I can recommend Kleopatra.

There are a lot of tutorials available, but the one below stood out because it starts with a small presentation on PGP.

His website with a written guide:

https://kevinsguides.com/guides/security/software/pgp-encryption/

After this comes the harder step, which is keeping your key secure. Once you hit that step, you can look into hardware based security keys.

Reactions: clemens and cuno
But it is German, do you relay on an EU country like Germany when it comes to privacy and e-mail?
I do not rely on Germany or any other country. None of them. I rely on technology. And this one, for me, is the best choice at the moment. Proton, for instance, is worse and it is in CH. Would you trust CH?

In any case, besides the encryption the provider might use, all my emails are encrypted with GPG.

is it different from PGP or just a typo?
PGP means Pretty Good Privacy. It was developed by Phil Zimmerman in 1991. In 1997, it became an IETF standard called OpenPGP.

The Free Software Foundation then implemented the standard in its Gnu Privacy Guard. GPG.

It is two different software but the same standard.

Am alternative for email encryption with built-in support in many mail applications like outlook is S/MIME. It is not compatible with the OpenPGP standard but is also an IETF standard described in a couple of RFCs like 8551.

Last edited:
For people not comfortable with a CLI, I can recommend Kleopatra.

There are a lot of tutorials available, but the one below stood out because it starts with a small presentation on PGP.

His website with a written guide:

PGP Encryption with Kleopatra

After this comes the harder step, which is keeping your key secure. Once you hit that step, you can look into hardware based security keys.
following this guide is a straight forward process and not too complicated.

Reactions: 0xDEADBEEF