Our valued sponsor

Get EU Citizenship without actually living there?

I'm a EU / Canadian national planning to get a third passport.

Since my hometown is part of the Schengen area, is it doable to simply move to a third EU country (e.g: Portugal, Sweden, Ireland, etc),
get a virtual address, national ID, driver licence, etc... and then wait the years necessary to apply for naturalisation WITHOUT actually living there full time?

Learning a new language isn't a problem, I'm just trying to understand if this is something doable or will they 100% want to see
that I pay tax in that country? (I presume not in less developed EU countries).

anyone can confirm?

Reactions: clemens
ZERO Chances. I don't know how you can take this into consideration, you are around 10-20 years late to try this. Why do you need a third passport if you already have two? ... This is no longer an advantage at the present time. What really want to achieve doing this?

Reactions: clemens

Since my hometown is part of the Schengen area, is it doable to simply move to a third EU country (e.g: Portugal, Sweden, Ireland, etc),
get a virtual address, national ID, driver licence, etc... and then wait the years necessary to apply for naturalisation WITHOUT actually living there full time?

Learning a new language isn't a problem, I'm just trying to understand if this is something doable or will they 100% want to see
that I pay tax in that country? (I presume not in less developed EU countries).

anyone can confirm?
Look into Slovakian residence terms. In my friend's experience, he managed to get a permanent residence without even living in Slovakia, and by registering a SZČO (something like sole proprietorship), but using that residence to work in another EU countries as an independent contractor. His address is and was registered in Slovakia. I've heard there are services offering address registrations, and also company registrations. Look into it, I have encountered several threads on the website.

In regards to taxes, Slovakia would be your primary jurisdiction for corporate taxes, and there is an agreement to prevent double-taxation between Slovakia and many EU countries.

I wish you luck.

Last edited:
You can get a Portuguese golden visa and only need to spend 7 days a year in the country to qualify for citizenship (only available to non-EU citizens though). Alternatively, you can probably try to 'fake live' somewhere if you already have an EU passport, but that would be citizenship fraud and be prepared that if ever discovered your citizenship would be revoked.

ZERO Chances. I don't know how you can take this into consideration, you are around 10-20 years late to try this. Why do you need a third passport if you already have two? ... This is no longer an advantage at the present time. What really want to achieve doing this?
Zero chance to do what? why do you say that? have you tried and failed at this?

I have specifically said I am a EU citizen, I can permanently live in slovakia, portugal etc, without any Visa.

I have specifically said I am a EU citizen, I can permanently live in slovakia, portugal etc, without any Visa.
Living in the EU and achieving an EU passport are 2 different things... If you confuse freedom of movement in the EU with citizenship you make a big mistake.

If you have money -no issue ..but with a virtual address or a driving license without living there is zero chance if you start the process now.

Read about what's new in the EU about legislation and think if you can get another citizenship around 2028...

Friendly advice --- choose the country you want citizenship and check the criteria and requirements for citizenship application - and after that decide if you can or not.

Anyway, if you think a third passport will help you somehow after 2030 in the EU to achieve something, good luck...

Reactions: CyprusLaw
How are you doing this actually with Portugal? and capital requirements or requirements to buy property ?
If I could describe it in one sentense, it's a mess. You are looking at a 7-10 year process, with at least a 2-3 year applicstion pricessing time. Might work if you are in no rush, but there is also no guarantee that they won't change the nationality law down the line and make this route not viable.

The PT GV law is being rewritten as we speak (the president just vetoed the latest draft last night), but it looks like the visa itself will survive post September and some paths will remain open. But, you are looking at 200-500k investment depending on the activity you choose to fund.

Probably possible if you register yourself as a self sufficient person. First thing you will need is to deposit money in a bank account and show them a bank statement just to prove that you have enough funds to support yourself and you won't become a public burden. Amount that you will need differs from country to country. You will also need private health insurance etc. All information is available online. Not sure about citizenship, but it's fairly easy to get a permanent residence in any EU country if you are already an EU citizen.

At the time of examining the passport applications they will need to see evidence that you were actually residing for the required period, this evidence includes passport to check for stamps etc, utility bill, rental contract/title deed, bank account statements to evidence payments in that country, boarding passes/tickets, and generally the want you to be able to prove almost every single day you spent in that country to qualify for a passport.

Reactions: smartchoice
You can try Italy, to get citizenship by marrying an Italian:
  • If you've been living in Italy together: after 2 years from the date of your wedding or civil union (same-sex marriage).
  • If you’ve been residing outside Italy: you can only apply for Italian citizenship after 3 years of being married to an Italian citizen.
  • The term is shortened by half if you have children under 18 or if you've adopted children together legally.

Last edited:
You can get a Portuguese golden visa and only need to spend 7 days a year in the country to qualify for citizenship (only available to non-EU citizens though). Alternatively, you can probably try to 'fake live' somewhere if you already have an EU passport, but that would be citizenship fraud and be prepared that if ever discovered your citizenship would be revoked.
Portuguese golden visas are extemely backlogged. For the Portuguese government to get thorugh the backlog of applications will take until 2030. So imagine, not getting a visa you paid 500,000 euros for, for the next 7 years+. Personally, I can attest to the inefficiency and slow processing of Portuguese beurocracy. Call yourself lucky to have that approved in 7 years.

Reactions: Don
Portuguese golden visas are extemely backlogged. For the Portuguese government to get thorugh the backlog of applications will take until 2030. So imagine, not getting a visa you paid 500,000 euros for, for the next 7 years+. Personally, I can attest to the inefficiency and slow processing of Portuguese beurocracy. Call yourself lucky to have that approved in 7 years.

Why would he need a Portuguese visa? The guy is an EU national. There're no restrictions for him whatsoever. I'm sure you heard about the freedom of movement. If he moves inside the Schengen area no one will notice his absence in another EU country. He mentioned Ireland, it's the only country in his list where there are border checks, but only on entry.

To sum it up I think it's achievable to acquire another EU nationality if you are already an EU citizen without spending 6+ months in that country. In some countries it's easier and quicker and in others more time consuming and requires some effort. Language is probably most difficult part. Try learning finnish, or hungarian conf/(%

At the time of examining the passport applications they will need to see evidence that you were actually residing for the required period, this evidence includes passport to check for stamps etc, utility bill, rental contract/title deed, bank account statements to evidence payments in that country, boarding passes/tickets, and generally the want you to be able to prove almost every single day you spent in that country to qualify for a passport.
There are no passport checks inside the Schengen Area. No one stamps EU passport on entry or exit. ID card is sufficient, I'm sure you are aware of this. As to rental contracts, he can stay/live with his friends and use their address when applying for local ID card. Local card payments for bank statements can be arranged by someone who lives in that country. Some cheap bills are also possible to set up. You make it sound very difficult when it's not. Yes, it's going to cost some money and will take time, but you will get in the end. I imagine some bulgarian would want to obtain belgian, or dutch nationality because it would give him more freedom when travelling. No visa to visit USA etc.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: smartchoice
Why would he need a Portuguese visa? The guy is an EU national. There're no restrictions for him whatsoever. I'm sure you heard about the freedom of movement. If he moves inside the Schengen area no one will notice his absence in another EU country. He mentioned Ireland, it's the only country in his list where there are border checks, but only on entry.

To sum it up I think it's achievable to acquire another EU nationality if you are already an EU citizen without spending 6+ months in that country. In some countries it's easier and quicker and in others more time consuming and requires some effort. Language is probably most difficult part. Try learning finnish, or hungarian conf/(%

There are no passport checks inside the Schengen Area. No one stamps EU passport on entry or exit. ID card is sufficient, I'm sure you are aware of this. As to rental contracts, he can stay/live with his friends and use their address when applying for local ID card. Local card payments for bank statements can be arranged by someone who lives in that country. Some cheap bills are also possible to set up. You make it sound very difficult when it's not. Yes, it's going to cost some money and will take time, but you will get in the end. I imagine some bulgarian would want to obtain belgian, or dutch nationality because it would give him more freedom when travelling. No visa to visit USA etc.
You do realise that (a) the stamping could be applicable for any of his exis from the EU, eg when he visits Canada? (b) Again you do realise that the reason there is no passport stamping in the EU is that they are checking this digitally nowadays? (c) If you think that you can get a passport so easily in 2023 then all I can do is hope than noone takes on your advice and wastes money on this.

You do realise that (a) the stamping could be applicable for any of his exis from the EU, eg when he visits Canada? (b) Again you do realise that the reason there is no passport stamping in the EU is that they are checking this digitally nowadays? (c) If you think that you can get a passport so easily in 2023 then all I can do is hope than noone takes on your advice and wastes money on this.
When do you get stamped when leaving an EU country, using an EU passport, to visit Canada?

What entry and exit records are recorded digitally? Please give some specifics, such as ones within Schengen - both when initially entering and when travelling between Schengen countries once you are within it. And for non schengen countries - which countries are recording electronically?

(…) to apply for naturalisation WITHOUT actually living there full time?
I think the only legitimate way in your case would be the Portuguese Golden Visa route.

The benefit of the golden visa is that you do not need to fulfil the typical physical presence requirements. (To be save let’s say to spent ~80% of the year there for 5 years, plus the years they process your application, so 2-3 more).

So of course as a EU citizen you could easily just move to Portugal without the golden visa - but you would have to spend 80% of the year for five years there to qualify for naturalisation.

But as you also do have a non EU citizenship (Canada) , I wonder if you would be able to apply for a Portuguese golden visa despite your other EU citizenship.

If you could apply, as part of the golden visa you DO NOT need to be there the entire year which is a unique benefit of this visa. You would only need to fulfil the 14 days every two years requirement. I know people who were successful this way but they had only non EU citizenship. I don’t know if they would accept you as you technically have another EU citizenship.

So I see this as the only potential legal route for another European citizenship in your case, with minimal time spent there.

I don't know how easy this is but Citizenship through marriage is an option:

Italy: Couples living outside the country must wait three years after their date of marriage before the non-Italian spouse can apply for Italian citizenship by marriage.
A non-Italian spouse of an Italian citizen is eligible for Italian citizenship after two years of being married so long as the couple resided in Italy.

Spain: If you are legally married to a Spanish national and have lived together for a year in Spain, you can become a citizen after that year has passed.

etc...

If anyone has been through the process, let me know if in reality it is as straightforward as it looks.

Who said you cannot have short trips outside of EU? And no your passport don't get stamped when exiting/entering EU. Only foreign states stamp your EU passport. As I wrote before ID card is sufficient for travel inside EU/EEA. Many non-EU countries also accept EU ID cards as valid identity documents, but that's another story. I wonder how often do you travel, and are you an EU citizen?

Once you are an EU citizen gaining another EU citizenship is not that difficult. I know people personally who acquired another EU citizenship this way. Even UK citizenship, but they lived in the UK before brexit. Study EU nationality law. There're different rules for EU and non-EU citizens.

Waste money on what exactly?

Once you are an EU citizen gaining another EU citizenship is not that difficult. I know people personally who acquired another EU citizenship this way. Even UK citizenship, but they lived in the UK before brexit. Study EU nationality law. There're different rules for EU and non-EU citizens.
Which countries are the easiest for this? For an EU citizen to gain another EU nationality ?

Latest Threads