Our valued sponsor

What is a UBO in practice? For court decisions, debts, legal action

Are we really at that level now? It's pretty obvious that drug lords, the mafia, and hardcore criminals have their own ways of protection and probably aren't moving their assets into a trust or a fund in Germany.
Yes, the absurd or obviously non-viable scenarios are not helpful. The world is not divided into drug kingpins and Mr by the books only.

Say I have legitimate money, but I also run businesses and in today's litigation-prone environment (not to mention increasingly hungry governments), it may make sense for me to want to protect my assets in case any crap happens.

I just want to understand whether these structures are a placebo or a real thing. They are a pain in the a*s to set up, manage, operate and explain to others. If at the end of the day it's all for nothing, I wouldn't bother.

So I'm curious to hear about their effectiveness in less obvious scenarios.

Reactions: dandiskahn and jafo
Yes, the absurd or obviously non-viable scenarios are not helpful. The world is not divided into drug kingpins and Mr by the books only.

I just want to understand whether these structures are a placebo or a real thing. They are a pain in the a*s to set up, manage, operate and explain to others. If at the end of the day it's all for nothing, I wouldn't bother.
Have you read my post? "I would expect that there will be many levels." And then, there were two extreme cases. Anything in between is in between.

From my opinion, there are still quite many trusts that are working very well. If you have legitimate money that nobody has any entitlement to at present time, they do work. Do your own research (with our help) and try to do as much as possible yourself or trust it only small people you can trust or really big companies. You remember Mossack Fonseca.

However, you may not need them if you have a limited liability company and you manage it well, they won't be able to get your personal money. Why use a trust in addition? It costs a lot for a benefit you may get for as little as $100 in Wyoming?

Reactions: Forester
these structures are a placebo
You have already answered your question! ;)

PS. Recently, I wrote to a lawyer at a large law firm who got my buddy into a war with the state to ask why he gave my buddy terrible legal advice, knowing full well that SCOTUS had already decided such cases. His reply was epic: "Lawyers have to eat, too."
:oops: stupi#21

Because it doesn’t exist in any law and established legal principles.
Just a tiny correction – at least in some EU countries there exists a law defining what is UBO and how it should be handled (I even think that there is some EU/SSR/ directive concerning this). Yet I agree that these laws have not much common with established legal principles. (Just for fun: A city has a bank account with a certain bank. The bank insists on filling the UBO of a city in its records /witnessed/.)

Just a tiny correction – at least in some EU countries there exists a law defining what is UBO and how it should be handled (I even think that there is some EU/SSR/ directive concerning this). Yet I agree that these laws have not much common with established legal principles. (Just for fun: A city has a bank account with a certain bank. The bank insists on filling the UBO of a city in its records /witnessed/.)
You mean the Fifth Anti-Money Laundering Directive (2018/843) ?
https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?uri=celex:32018L0843

You mean the Fifth Anti-Money Laundering Directive (2018/843) ?
https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?uri=celex:32018L0843
That’s yet another expression of the stupidity of the EU.
Simple explanation of the EU:
IMG_9735.webp

Yeah, it's probably this one. There is also some from 2015, IIRC. But frankly, I have not bothered to read thoroughly. 32 pages of BS.
Yeah that's this one : Directive (EU) 2015/849 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 20 May 2015 on the prevention of the use of the financial system for the purposes of money laundering or terrorist financing, amending Regulation (EU) No 648/2012 of the European Parliament and of the Council, and repealing Directive 2005/60/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council and Commission Directive 2006/70/EC (Text with EEA relevance)
https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?uri=celex:32015L0849

Reactions: Forester