Our valued sponsor

What is a UBO in practice? For court decisions, debts, legal action

OKboomer

Nov 29, 2019
Having asked a dozen of lawyers and another dozen of bankers, I realized they all give me slightly different variations of an answer to the basic question: what is the UBO? Not , duh , the ultimate beneficial owner holds ultimate ownership/ control over the company, but the actual legal implications of being a UBO.

To illustrate, there are known faraway jurisdictions offering asset protections via trusts and foundations. However, both their agents or for instance banks subsequently, insist that the settlor of trust, or founder of foundation is the UBO. Now, in theory those trusts/foundations should put a legal wall/distance between the person and their assets, and there are a bunch of nice-looking legal texts affirming that. However, a question begs itself, then why is the very person who is supposed to just start this thing and then not be the main figurehead, is anyway labelled as the main figurehead? More importantly, what are the implications for the legal entities, if a UBO has a court order or debt judgement or any legal claims against them? Would the assets of those trusts or foundations then be by default frozen (if court case against UBO is ongoing) or confiscated (if court enforcement / asset recovery against UBO is in place)? If so, then what is the real benefit of those convoluted structures, if ultimately it boils down to who the UBO is? You may as well own things in your own name with kind of the same outcome, and less hassle of having to explain your complex structure to anyone like bankers. Any possible privacy they may offer also is a mirage,as you have to show the UBO to literally anyone in the financial/ legal / political world you interact with, so they know it's your pocket company / piggy bank.

Am I right or am I missing something?

Reactions: mraleph
You nailed it. UBO is not a legal figure but a definition that was invented to try to simplify things for banks and other types of voyeurs.
In a trust context, there is a beneficiary, not a UBO. If the beneficiary is considered the UBO, then the trust is a sham. You can setup a trust (as the settlor) and in some jurisdictions also be its beneficiary, but you must relinquish all type of control over it in order for the trust to be considered valid.
A properly setup and managed trust can be an effective tool, but not everyone accepts to effectively give away his assets.

You nailed it. UBO is not a legal figure but a definition that was invented to try to simplify things for banks and other types of voyeurs.
In a trust context, there is a beneficiary, not a UBO. If the beneficiary is considered the UBO, then the trust is a sham. You can setup a trust (as the settlor) and in some jurisdictions also be its beneficiary, but you must relinquish all type of control over it in order for the trust to be considered valid.
A properly setup and managed trust can be an effective tool, but not everyone accepts to effectively give away his assets.
For trusts they insist it's the settlor first and foremost who's the UBO. That's the weird thing. So even if beneficiaries and trustees are third persons, they still stick UBO on settlor first. But then, secondly, they indeed mark beneficiaries as the UBOs. You can't argue with them about it. Despite best lawyers assuring me to the contrary, something tells me, this pretty much makes the trust toothless, and should there God forbid be any test of that in court, it would crumble ...

For trusts they insist it's the settlor first and foremost who's the UBO. That's the weird thing. So even if beneficiaries and trustees are third persons, they still stick UBO on settlor first. But then, secondly, they indeed mark beneficiaries as the UBOs. You can't argue with them about it. Despite best lawyers assuring me to the contrary, something tells me, this pretty much makes the trust toothless, and should there God forbid be any test of that in court, it would crumble ...
Law theory is one thing, what happens in court is a whole different story.
Long story short, if you really want to protect your assets, choose other solutions (and check the Mentor Gold Group)

There are, or more have been, many things in the past which made sense back then.

Bearer Shares were a very useful thing. It is like paper money, the guy how has the share (paper) is the owner.
Passbooks were good too, same concept.
Trusts, Foundations, Fideikommiss, etc. these all have their origins in Roman law which dates back millennia. And were indeed useful for handling inheritances among a group of people.

You know, back in 1291 according to the legend, Switzerland was founded on a guy shooting an apple off somebody's head. And likewise, when you did not behave properly in your village you were simply kicked out. And of course, you could not take most of your wealth with you. So, people better behaved. Things are different now and growing population and freedom allows people to not behave properly and just take all somewhere else. Hence, people started using those structures in a way that upset the rest of the society. And I am not talking about the ruse of the government, but the society. Hence, the government had to do something and then, they restricted the use of those instruments. Bearer shares have been banned, passbooks became obsolete and for the rest, there is a UBO registry.

As a result, these ways of organisation still exist and it probably still works in certain cases that way, like for inheritance trusts, Nobel Prize foundation, etc. But on the other hand, the usefullness is pretty much undermined for the purposes you are interested in. Now, if you were selling those for ages, would you admit this and stop the sale? No, of course not. You can keep selling them for the purpose they were inteded and keep telling the same thing. While everybody of sound mind would tell you to abstain.

Last edited:
Reactions: JohnnyDoe
this is very difficult mental switch.. to own nothing - I find it very interesting concept with crypto assets in a trust-like vehicle - it's something one doesn't own, fully controls but unlike "physical" asset (real estate, cash in bank accounts, stock portfolio, ...) it still cannot be touched and can even "disappear" in extreme cases

@JohnLocke or @Sols or @Forester can explain how it works
This forum has a tiered membership. The general forum is for general questions were we discuss general matter and help people. Then, there is a Mentor Gold Membership with access to the Gold Forums. Nobody from the outside really knows what is actually there. But that's the place were guides are posted. It offers you value at a mere cost of a bad dinner in the US. You will be able to discuss sensitive information of other people or you can even post your own penalty orders and get help with writing an objection. You will get wisdom and insight that normally is not just handed out to the guys next door. It is like they key to the Inner Party of George Orwell's 1984.

There for example is a guide on how to find a homeless guy in the UK who will then be the director and UBO of your new UK Limited.

This forum has a tiered membership. The general forum is for general questions were we discuss general matter and help people. Then, there is a Mentor Gold Membership with access to the Gold Forums. Nobody from the outside really knows what is actually there. But that's the place were guides are posted. It offers you value at a mere cost of a bad dinner in the US. You will be able to discuss sensitive information of other people or you can even post your own penalty orders and get help with writing an objection. You will get wisdom and insight that normally is not just handed out to the guys next door. It is like they key to the Inner Party of George Orwell's 1984.

There for example is a guide on how to find a homeless guy in the UK who will then be the director and UBO of your new UK Limited.
I totally accept the business-related reasons for having a premium tier membership
what I don't understand is all the fuss over certain topics not to be discussed in public sections of the forum as it's obvious that buying whatever membership represents absolutely no obstacle for any government institution or other malicious actors...