Our valued sponsor

What are the options for living in Spain but not paying capital gains/wealth tax there?

If the GF wants Spain then so be it and just pay the taxes.
I have permanent residency in Mexico and my baby has that passport.
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that his GF is Mexican, and she prefers Spain because she dominates the language.

I'm saying this with lots of admiration for OP, because he said this:
I have accumulated 7 figure bitcoin holdings that have always been declared with the Dutch tax thieves
smi(&% rof/%

The guy is bright AF!

OP, your best bet is this:
You could take advantage of the Beckham law in Spain :
  • 24% on Spanish-sourced income up to €600,000
  • No taxation on income and gains sourced outside Spain
  • Within 6 months of becoming an tax resident you need to apply
and this:
For cryptocurrencies the physical location of your private keys is important and also the location of your exchange and their relation to Spain .
Examples :
  • Private keys stored on a ledger in Spain => Spanish sourced income => Spanish capital gains tax (V1662-23 ruling)
  • Custody service in Gibraltar => foreign income => exempt from taxes .
  • Coins on foreign exchange => foreign income => exempt from taxes .

So use a custody service or store your ledger outside of Spain and use a foreign exchange.

Essential question: Do you have a "cuñado?" (Mexican brother-in-law for the Spanish impaired).

PS. Based on this, I am asking this question because I know plenty of Dutch and Mexican guys successfully living in Spain with their "story" in order. Of course, you can't "slip"—which is a euphemism for "skydiving without a parachute against the Hacienda"!

If Spain, move to a region with generous wealth tax exemptions, avoid places like p.e Catalonia.
Andalusia, Madrid, or the balearic Islands offer exemptions up to €3 million per person, and these can be combined with family members, I heard.

Keep your crypto assets stored outside of Spain. Since 2024.
crypto income must be declared in Spain, even if you use the Beckham law, but if your crypto is held abroad, you should be fine. Just be careful because the Spanish tax office can be tricky and is playing dirty sometimes, no own experience but a lot of advocates told me, so make sure everything is really secure.

You will get six years of tax relief with the Beckham Law probably, which gives you plenty of time to settle down, especially if you have a kid. After that, in some regions of spain can still be a nice place to live with reasonable taxes if you keep all earnings in a company and live from your wealth p.e. And if things should change, you can always leave without exit taxes , < 10 years.

btw for madrid is a new tax law since 2024: the Mbappé Law, no joke. It is similar to beckham law but goes with an Investment.

Reactions: jafo
Reactions: jafo and uncreative