Our valued sponsor

Stripe exceeded the tax threshold

I think there is a misunderstanding. If you write the pdf with custom advice, it is same as a phone call and no VAT. If you sell eBooks, they are subject to VAT as it basically is a digital product.
From 2025 VAT rules are changing for digital goods. Do you think that starting from 2025 even the phone calls/online calls will have the place of supply in the EU and are going to be subject to VAT?

Also, do you know if there is any EU agency, that we could ask directly the opinion whether VAT has to be charged? Like request for a tax ruling or smth?

Last edited:
Reactions: pesto
From 2025 VAT rules are changing for digital goods. Do you think that starting from 2025 even the phone calls/online calls will have the place of supply in the EU and are going to be subject to VAT?

Also, do you know if there is any EU agency, that we could ask directly the opinion whether VAT has to be charged? Like request for a tax ruling or smth?
It mainly is for virtual events, i.e. with many people. I personally think your case would not fall under this.

You can always call the German ta hotline, they are quite helpful
I probably would call them and ask how and where to send a ruling request if this is available for VAT and then specify that you are looking for the 2025 edition of the law.

If you have no ties to Germany and the EU and are just paying VAT, I probably would not worry too much as they normally won't audit you in the Bahamas.

Typically you ask a tax firm for such advise, they are most often up to date with the rules.

It mainly is for virtual events, i.e. with many people. I personally think your case would not fall under this.

You can always call the German ta hotline, they are quite helpful
I probably would call them and ask how and where to send a ruling request if this is available for VAT and then specify that you are looking for the 2025 edition of the law.

If you have no ties to Germany and the EU and are just paying VAT, I probably would not worry too much as they normally won't audit you in the Bahamas.
I do have connection to the EU and that is why I would prefer to be 100% sure what are my obligations.

Typically you ask a tax firm for such advise, they are most often up to date with the rules.
that is the issue. We did request several opinions from the companies that are specialized in VAT. The conclusions were absolutely different. Some say we have to charge it, some say we dont. Thus I would rather have an opinion directly from any tax authority.

Typically you should not. Typically you should:
  • read the law
  • read the cases
  • think about it
  • (if you want, ask a lawyer if there is anything you may be missing)
  • ask the tax guys directly
Remember
  • any legal advice is only as good as you are able to present a complete picture (which is much harder than you may imagine)
  • it is always you who loses the a*s (and your legal fees), and always the lawyer that keeps his a*s and gets your money

I do have connection to the EU and that is why I would prefer to be 100% sure what are my obligations.
Then, you best get a binding tax ruling.
Which country do you have connections or will be the country of registration in the EU?

Last edited: