Our valued sponsor

Strategies for getting back on-shore

It's a decent question. I've thought the same too. Most of us have elderly parents we may want to spend time with and some of our home countries are still good for retirement (government provided healthcare etc). Who knows what 5+ years down the track will hold.

One strategy I heard was to make sure to have a tax residency before going back (inc. tax returns - even if they are 'nil tax payable' returns) and have well documented source of funds.

I have heard (in theory only) some governments won't like the idea of people who have not been paying tax since leaving and may then insist that you were a tax resident the whole time. I'm talking of resident of nowhere nomads, unsure if this would extend to 0% tax countries.

If we are talking serious money, perhaps it's worth moving to a low tax place like Thailand or something for a year, paying *some* tax (only on funds remitted into the country), have a tax return showing that before moving back. It's their feels of butthurt you need to watch out for, so as long as you're paying some, that should reduce your risk. Paying 0% may be too much a slap in the face and cause them to investigate you (a painful experience even if you've done everything legally and correctly).

Do you still have banking in your home country? If so, could you start saving now into those accounts over time so you don't end up having to do a big sum later?

Keen to hear other solutions.

It doesnt have to be too complicated. One solution could be;

Purchase an insurance product that distributes periodically an amount to you.
Register (again) in the country of your choice and pay the owed taxes on the received distributions as they come.

When properly structured (using a lawyer etc) your name then only shows up as beneficiary.

Interesting, I looked into these annuity products. The fees seem significant though. I wonder, could the same be achieved with a regular high interest saver account?

Plus you could just live locally and spend from your international credit/debit card.

For sure.

But I think it's a pretty fair question to ask.

Let's say for some reason you have to go back to the "normal" life... And you have to go back to Spain residency, for example.

Let's say you need to buy a house with that money.

How would that work?

i would create a LLC and give money to the company, maybe a loan , and use that money to generate new income for my lifestyle.