Our valued sponsor

Second Passport : What do you think about Antigua-and-Barbuda Citizenship?

Given US and EU crackdown on Caribbean passports, do you also think it's not a good passport to have as a plan b?
I would say it all depends on your alternatives. If there are no alternatives, then go for it. Otherwise, take any better alternative. There are enough. And yes, take the one from a place where are also live.

Yes, that's a scary restriction! I imagine any country would do that when facing deficit of soldiers thought.
They have no shortage of soldiers. Half the country is reserved from mobilization and is only trying to drive the other half to war. More than 100 thousand soldiers do not fight, they are simply trying to twist the hypothetical Ivan from the village and send him to death. None of the state employees fight, etc. In their opinion, only ordinary people who cannot buy their way out of this madhouse should fight. That is why they limited passports abroad. It is clear to a donkey that this will not help in any way, people will not return there anyway. But it will ruin their lives, which is what this dictatorial regime is trying to achieve. So in such cases passport of Antigua is the super solution. The same for any other people who unfortunately were born in dictatorial countries.

Reactions: polonieth and jafo
IMO yes, especially if your 1st passport is from country like Ukraine, where government forbid to renew passport for people without going to the death in the army.
For Ukrainian males nowadays is quite easy to get the refugee status (not to be confused with temporary protection) virtually in every EU country/Canada/US and then apply for citizenship in 5+ years. With the refugee status the need for passport renewal is eliminated. One can apply for a travel document if he needs/wants to travel abroad. The main problem for Ukrainian men aged 18-60 is to escape Ukraine.

For Ukrainian males nowadays is quite easy to get the refugee status (not to be confused with temporary protection) virtually in every EU country/Canada/US and then apply for citizenship in 5+ years. With the refugee status the need for passport renewal is eliminated. One can apply for a travel document if he needs/wants to travel abroad. The main problem for Ukrainian men aged 18-60 is to escape Ukraine.
It's not so easy actually. They give refugee status to some Somali guy without problem but do not give to Ukrainian guy. Because west world think that Ukraine is democratic but Somali is not. Also, how to live without passport all these 5 years? How to use bank account, brokers and so on.

Reactions: jafo
How to use bank account, brokers and so on.

Not an issue in EU. All residents are entitled to a Basic Bank Account under EU law and if your not a criminal the retail bank cannot refuse to open it. Even if you are an asylum seeker or have already your refugee status you are legally entitled to have an account in EU. You can open with almost all major retail banks in EU. You just need ID (does not have to be passport) and proof of address.

You can go to the webpage of the bank your interested and apply i.e HSBC.

Not an issue in EU. All residents are entitled to a Basic Bank Account under EU law and if your not a criminal the retail bank cannot refuse to open it. Even if you are an asylum seeker or have already your refugee status you are legally entitled to have an account in EU. You can open with almost all major retail banks in EU. You just need ID (does not have to be passport) and proof of address.

You can go to the webpage of the bank your interested and apply i.e HSBC.

Interesting, didn't know about that, thanks. That is, an EU bank can accept refugee documents as identification for opening an account? Also, if the bank initially used a passport that has expired and there is no way to renew it, then the person can instead add a refugee document to the bank or something similar? In general, do EU banks pay attention to the expiration date of the passport, is this somehow monitored?

Interesting, didn't know about that, thanks. That is, an EU bank can accept refugee documents as identification for opening an account? Also, if the bank initially used a passport that has expired and there is no way to renew it, then the person can instead add a refugee document to the bank or something similar? In general, do EU banks pay attention to the expiration date of the passport, is this somehow monitored?
I think it works the other way round. All EU residents, i.e. legally allowed to reside, are entitled a free bank account in each country. It is the Payments Account Directive

Member States shall ensure that consumers legally resident in the Union, including consumers with no fixed address and asylum seekers, and consumers who are not granted a residence permit but whose expulsion is impossible for legal or factual reasons, have the right to open and use a payment account with basic features with credit institutions located in their territory. Such a right shall apply irrespective of the consumer’s place of residence.

I think the KYC works then the other way round too: while they would normally not give you anything, the must open the free account if you can prove your entitlement (you must not have any account in the respective country). I think in France you can address the authorities and they will assign you a branch where you can open an account.

Last edited:
That is, an EU bank can accept refugee documents as identification for opening an account?

Yes

Also, if the bank initially used a passport that has expired and there is no way to renew it, then the person can instead add a refugee document to the bank or something similar?

Yes

In general, do EU banks pay attention to the expiration date of the passport, is this somehow monitored?

They put expiry date of your documents in their system. When they check it and how they check it they decide on the interval which may be immediately when it expires or periodically like every quarter, end of year etc. KYC documents must be valid and a passport is not valid if expired.

Reactions: Dreamy
Thanks @Martin Everson , this will help to some Ukr people here in this forum
Let's come back to the thread.

What you think guys, about property on Antigua? It's actually not so interesting to waste 200k now just for passport. IMO much more interesting to spend 300-400k on some part of the hotel in Antigua, or part of the villa or something like this, that will bring at least 2% /year.

Thanks @Martin Everson , this will help to some Ukr people here in this forum
Let's come back to the thread.

What you think guys, about property on Antigua? It's actually not so interesting to waste 200k now just for passport. IMO much more interesting to spend 300-400k on some part of the hotel in Antigua, or part of the villa or something like this, that will bring at least 2% /year.
The problem with there estates is that they notoriously underperform. Also you turn often have to pay additional fees for fixing etc. If you ask the Chinese agents on the islands, they will all recommend you to go for the donation route. They told me that the stuff from 5 years ago is hard to sell. I then asked if I can buy from that who bought 5 years ago, but that was not really something possible either.

Hence I recommend you the donation unless your can get something from 5 years ago at big discount.

The problem with there estates is that they notoriously underperform. Also you turn often have to pay additional fees for fixing etc. If you ask the Chinese agents on the islands, they will all recommend you to go for the donation route. They told me that the stuff from 5 years ago is hard to sell. I then asked if I can buy from that who bought 5 years ago, but that was not really something possible either.

Hence I recommend you the donation unless your can get something from 5 years ago at big discount.
I'm not arguing with you, but I can't understand why? It's a super tourist place, full of rich Americans who come there on holiday. What could be wrong - owning part of a hotel, or a villa... It can exist forever. Unless some hurricane wipes out all of Antigua.

>> What do you think about Antigua-and-Barbuda Citizenship?

Excellent. My partner got it. Took a while (10 months) and they got it before the recent hike in prices.

Perfect for wealth protection.