Our valued sponsor

Opening an LLC in either Estonia or Latvia and living there. Please help me decide.

If you have crypto and are moving to Estonia, you can inject crypto as capital to the company. When you do that, you evaluate how much the crypto is worth.
Similar to what was possible in Switzerland before they paused it. I don't know if it is possible today. Great that Latvia has the same possibility.

If you have crypto and are moving to Estonia, you can inject crypto as capital to the company. When you do that, you evaluate how much the crypto is worth.
Indeed this is very interesting. However, for someone that is heavily exposed to crypto, keeping in mind how fast the tax laws are changing right now, one might want to consider to actually leave it for the next crypto cycle, not to risk locking in capital and them changing the taxation laws(?)

Similar to what was possible in Switzerland before they paused it. I don't know if it is possible today. Great that Latvia has the same possibility.
Yes, Georgia should as well.

Reactions: cuno
One thing I do not understand is, why is this legal to do under "substance over form" law? Obviously you are creating a structure (company) to avoid paying income tax as an individual, if trading is the only thing the company will do. If this would be legal, all citizens in Estonia would do this in order to avoid paying income tax on invesments(?)

The only way I see this can work is if you indeed are NOT a tax resident of Estonia. But then your home country can use the Substance over form law.

One thing I do not understand is, why is this legal to do under "substance over form" law? Obviously you are creating a structure (company) to avoid paying income tax as an individual, if trading is the only thing the company will do. If this would be legal, all citizens in Estonia would do this in order to avoid paying income tax on invesments(?)

The only way I see this can work is if you indeed are NOT a tax resident of Estonia. But then your home country can use the Substance over form law.
you should only post a question once not in all various threads!

Reactions: kilor
Corporations get taxed when they distribute profits.

Say its worth 1m. Then you can later withdraw the same amount from company tax free, while at the corporate level when the crypto is sold its not taxed either as the tax is generally paid only on distribution of dividends, and not on payback of contributed capital.
Beware when doing this in Estonia, I asked a few people there and the answer was that you'll likely get a tax audit if you capitalize your company with large amounts of crypto.

• Wow
Reactions: cuno
Beware when doing this in Estonia, I asked a few people there and the answer was that you'll likely get a tax audit if you capitalize your company with large amounts of crypto.
Thats correct, and the same applies to other similar tax systems like Latvia and Georgia.
Such transactions are closely monitored and double checked by tax authorities. And it applies to most capital contributions, because you're effectively applying for a tax exemption.

Stay (Physically) away from the so called Baltic countries. They are hellish s..tholes, long time abandoned by the smart locals who flew abroad, and only useful for (mainly illegal) operations managed from abroad.

Unfortunately violent crime is rampant. Lithuania is a major hub of trafficking (drugs and cigarettes), Latvia is just a U.S. colony (Check the huge U.S. embassy there, as I posted some time ago here), Estonia plays the role of the smartest kid but it’s the same.

Long are gone the good times when you could walk in Rietumu with cash in plastic bags.

Reactions: kilor
Stay (Physically) away from the so called Baltic countries. They are hellish s..tholes, long time abandoned by the smart locals who flew abroad, and only useful for (mainly illegal) operations managed from abroad.

Unfortunately violent crime is rampant. Lithuania is a major hub of trafficking (drugs and cigarettes), Latvia is just a U.S. colony (Check the huge U.S. embassy there, as I posted some time ago here), Estonia plays the role of the smartest kid but it’s the same.

Long are gone the good times when you could walk in Rietumu with cash in plastic bags.
Your knowledge must be outdated, as Tallinn is actually currently considered vastly superior to its neighbours in the region, including Riga, Vilnius, Stockholm, Oslo, Berlin, ranking 17th amongst 195 capital cities globally.

https://news.postimees.ee/7955309/tallinn-ranks-17th-in-global-quality-of-life-index

Btw which countries you consider better where you can walk around with your cash in plastic bags?

Your knowledge must be outdated, as Tallinn is actually currently considered vastly superior to its neighbours in the region, including Riga, Vilnius, Stockholm, Oslo, Berlin, ranking 17th amongst 195 capital cities globally.

https://news.postimees.ee/7955309/tallinn-ranks-17th-in-global-quality-of-life-index
So Postimees.ee said rof/%
I’m currently an Estonia e-resident and I continue to deal with the 3 little rabid countries.

Btw which countries you consider better where you can walk around with your cash in plastic bags?
Any non Western country, where cash is still considered legal. Some might remember the times when not accepting cash was illegal :confused:

Reactions: Don
Look, what a coincidence, certain products are always shipped from the Baltics:

IMG_0285.webp

Any non Western country, where cash is still considered legal. Some might remember the times when not accepting cash was illegal :confused:
True...marxists have largely taken over the world.

Hard to hammer all that nto head sometimes though due to cognitive dissonance, emotional protection, and bias for hope and optimism. Times are grim.

Having multiple residencies is the key.

Reactions: ilke

very well explained. Like in many other situations, be resident at one place and have the company in another country and if possible to business out side of that country.

very well explained. Like in many other situations, be resident at one place and have the company in another country and if possible to business out side of that country.
Even better would be to be legal resident in multiple countries, while not necessarily being tax resident in the same.
Having residence helps to open and maintain local bank accounts, and obtain credit.