Our valued sponsor

How to Travel Light for a Year-Long Journey Across Europe and Beyond?

EliasIT

Corporate Services
Mentor Group Lifetime
Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
If you were to travel for a year just wandering around by yourself, what would you use in terms of clothing, security, and transporting your belongings, including important things like money, etc.?

How would you manage if you needed some nice clothes along the way? I mean, there's a limit to how much you can carry around if you don't have a fixed residence.

Primarily Europe but maybe further away too.

Reactions: polonieth
Reactions: JohnnyDoe
I've been travelling for around 15 years, except for a couple of extended periods (COVID being one of them), and I have a carry-on backpack and one checked-in bag. I could never do just a carry-on. I tend to stick to the warmer climates, which makes it easier for clothing. Travel usually by plane, train, car and occasionally ferry. The car is definitely the easiest. The camper van is even better, however, I enjoy the driving part and wouldn't enjoy one of them as much. I continually think about trying though.

For clothing, just the usual things. Mostly casual with at least one outfit for more formal occasions. Plus multi-purpose, so swimwear doubles as exercise gear. Definitely compromises and you need to get used to wearing the same things. As the saying goes, it's no different to pack for a week or a month. You still only need a week's worth and accept you will be washing them. Either hand wash in the hotel, send out for cleaning or accommodation with washer.

For money, I carry very little cash and mainly use cards or get what I think will be enough cash for the visit in that country. I keep maybe a dozen different currencies of small denominations, all totalling around $500.

I have a few credit cards. I never keep them all together. Some are in a bag, and some are with me. Depending on the place, I also keep former card(s) that have expired or previously been leaked and can be used as decoys.

Computer and camera gear in carry-on and backup drive in checked-in bag. I always keep them separate.

Sometimes, I just have to buy something for an occasion. Or if I'm going to a place where I know I will need formal clothing, I pack that and less of something else, if I'm passing through where I have a few of my things stored with a friend.

All of the above is really just common sense. I found I became accustomed to living out of a bag very easily. If I get tired of it, I stay in one place for a bit longer. Rarely do I ever completely unpack the bag though. I get more tired of researching places than having a limited number of possessions with me.

My luggage

Carry on suitcase
Spare Computer
Spare Phones
15 Bank Cards
20 Sim Cards
1 Spare Passport
4 Driver Licences and ID cards
Spare Money in various currencies
3 Polo Shirts
2 Long & 3 Short Sleeve Shirts
3 Underwear
3 Pairs of Socks
6 Spare Ricola
1 Spare Jeans thick
1 Spare Jean thin
1 Sweather
1 Bathing Pants

Carry on Backpack
Computer
4-port USB-C charger
Camera
Headset
Mouse
Alcohol wipes
Chewing gum
Sun cream
Tooth paste
Tooth brush
Pain killers
Razor
Hand cream
Ricola
2 Pens
Business Cards, just in case
Scarf
Ultra Thin Jacket

On me
Trail running shoes
Jeans
Polo Shirt
Socks
Underwear
Wallet with 3 bank cards and some cash, depending on the place also some local ID card, Passport in left pocket
Phone in right pocket

Works fine from Colombo in summer to Almaty in Winter. Never missed anything. In case you are worried, just take a new pair of shoes, it will usually last for about 9 to 15 months. Maybe just swap when you are at your mother's place for Christmas. I have 20 pair of shoes, 600 pair of socks, 40 razors, 40 underwear, 2 spare ultra jackets in storage units around the globe, just in case.

Damn thats heavy traveling. I travel with just a backpack containing...

1 x Jean
1 x Shorts
1 x Waterpoof Jacket
1 x Jumper
3 x T-Shirts
7 x Underwear
3 x Socks
1 x Toothbrush
1 x Toothpaste
6 x Physical Cards
1 x Dual Sim Phone
2 x Passport
1 x KYC Papers (For account openings)
1 x Multiplug adapter

Then I carry cash. Anything else I need I buy and use along the way or use from the hotel rooms. Same goes for clothes that I buy and dispose of along the way.

Everything else can go into storage before I travel.

Reactions: polonieth
That’s because you normally wear flip flops?

Lol...no. I often end up walking in rainy countries and my shoes get soaked through.

My luggage

Carry on suitcase
Spare Computer
Spare Phones
15 Bank Cards
20 Sim Cards
1 Spare Passport
4 Driver Licences and ID cards
Spare Money in various currencies
3 Polo Shirts
2 Long & 3 Short Sleeve Shirts
3 Underwear
3 Pairs of Socks
6 Spare Ricola
1 Spare Jeans thick
1 Spare Jean thin
1 Sweather
1 Bathing Pants

Carry on Backpack
Computer
4-port USB-C charger
Camera
Headset
Mouse
Alcohol wipes
Chewing gum
Sun cream
Tooth paste
Tooth brush
Pain killers
Razor
Hand cream
Ricola
2 Pens
Business Cards, just in case
Scarf
Ultra Thin Jacket

On me
Trail running shoes
Jeans
Polo Shirt
Socks
Underwear
Wallet with 3 bank cards and some cash, depending on the place also some local ID card, Passport in left pocket
Phone in right pocket

Works fine from Colombo in summer to Almaty in Winter. Never missed anything. In case you are worried, just take a new pair of shoes, it will usually last for about 9 to 15 months. Maybe just swap when you are at your mother's place for Christmas. I have 20 pair of shoes, 600 pair of socks, 40 razors, 40 underwear, 2 spare ultra jackets in storage units around the globe, just in case.
This sounds like a list Andrew Tate would come up with.

Where have you got all the driving licenses and IDs from?

Why do you need to spend money storing socks in storage units around the globe when you can just buy them anywhere when you arrive?

I travel much lighter than this - carry-on only, but a large travel pack type backpack.

Reactions: PinkCat and Marshal
For how many days? Don’t tell me for a week

Consider wearing them also inside out for a longer trip :p

For the real hardcore traveller consider merino underwear and clothes in general.

Merino wool has natural antibacterial properties which means it does not require washing after each use.

Unlike cotton and synthetic materials, real merino wool does not retain odors and keeps clothes fresher for longer.

Considering the level of soiling, it is sufficient to take merino wool clothes out in the fresh air for a few hours.

Icebreaker's merino stuff is top notch (suitable even for sweaty regions)

For how many days? Don’t tell me for a week pain¤#"!
My friends always let me wash my clothes at their place. Otherwise I wash it by hand (my grandmother taught me how) in the evening in the hotel. It is better than having tons of dirty cloths.

Am I the only one who changes underwear and socks 1/2x per day?
Up to 3 times per day. But I usually wash it for 10 minutes in the lounge and then wear again. It gives a fresh cool feeling for about 20 minutes until it is dry.

This sounds like a list Andrew Tate would come up with.

Where have you got all the driving licenses and IDs from?
Expresslane.org and the like. Is helps when traveling and opening back accounts.

Why do you need to spend money storing socks in storage units around the globe when you can just buy them anywhere when you arrive?
I don't like having different ones. Used to buy at the supermarket for like 5 USD per pair. But the only lasted about 25 days. Then went on Alibaba and bought 1000 for less than 80 cents each.

I travel much lighter than this - carry-on only, but a large travel pack type backpack.
But what is inside?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: PinkCat and jafo
If you were to travel for a year just wandering around by yourself, what would you use in terms of clothing, security, and transporting your belongings, including important things like money, etc.?

How would you manage if you needed some nice clothes along the way? I mean, there's a limit to how much you can carry around if you don't have a fixed residence.

Primarily Europe but maybe further away too.
I use a travel backpack and a smaller sling bag. The travel bag I have his 35L. Also has a few d rings for fastening carabiners to, which sometimes I use for a shoe bag.

I've done months on the road with only that setup. In it I have:

Laptop
Secondary portable monitor
Toiletries
Tech Pouch with all needed cables
Clothes - typically one pair of jeans, several t-shirts, one zip up, ~5 boxer/sock combos, packable rain jacket.
2 phones
Flashlight
2 watches
Sunglasses
Few other random small bits.

In the sling I have passport, money, tablet, water bottle, power bank. And on me is only ever phone and wallet.

I can pretty much live out of that setup assuming I got a place with a washing machine or launderette to use and just top up what I need in my destination - eg I'll buy flip flops at the place and discard.

What's your dressing style? I tagged you on my designer thread.

Do you dress like MBS?

Lol....hell no.

I walk around most days with a straw hat, old t-shirt, ripped cargo shorts drinking with a straw from a coconut :cool:.

Casual-look-with-straw-hat.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: JohnLocke

Latest Threads