Our valued sponsor

Dual Citizenship: What's the Real Advantage of Holding Two Passports?

You can only visit third world countries with a Vanuatu passport visa free....lol? What makes a Vanuatu passport any good?
reasons a Vanuatu passport is of no use to you or I might not be the same to a 3rd person. I for sure have zero use for a Vanuatu passport. Same goes with any Caribbean passport.

Or ask any Americans, for that matters. Their passport is toxic when it comes to opening bank accounts in other parts of the world, and not to mention the country's rapidly going down the drain LOL. For those Yanks whom I know are working on a 2nd citizenship (mind you, they would go for something European or Carribean) is pretty much a backup plan, allowing them to live and work elsewhere legally once they're tired of the US. Yes, I know taxes will always follow them (and for many who are retirees anyway, doesn't matter too much).
problem with this, is that unless you have renounced your USA passport, you are in the same boat even with a shiny new banana island passport. Not all banks, but majority would still decline you even if you have multiple passports but one of them happens to be U.S. (Thanks Obama!)

It's just a waste of money Imo .
Depends what passports you were born with, and how much money you have.

I'm very grateful for the fact that I was born with the ability to obtain two passports without having to buy either. The advantages are many and quite nuanced to each person's particular situation.

@jayM Research your options thoroughly. The value will be obvious if there is any, and then you just need to decide if it matches or exceeds the cost. I suspect very few German citizens would benefit much from a 2nd passport.

Depends what passports you were born with, and how much money you have.

I'm very grateful for the fact that I was born with the ability to obtain two passports without having to buy either. The advantages are many and quite nuanced to each person's particular situation.

@jayM Research your options thoroughly. The value will be obvious if there is any, and then you just need to decide if it matches or exceeds the cost. I suspect very few German citizens would benefit much from a 2nd passport.
Yeah it was an answer for OP's question and he also holds a German passport . I know if you have much weaker passport it could be an option , but as a German I wouldn't know of a good reason , maybe if you have some big controversy and want a new Identity to conduct business then a Vanuatu(name change) CBI could come in handy , but that's just really an edge case .

Reactions: aragon
Yeah it was an answer for OP's question and he also holds a German passport . I know if you have much weaker passport it could be an option , but as a German I wouldn't know of a good reason , maybe if you have some big controversy and want a new Identity to conduct business then a Vanuatu(name change) CBI could come in handy , but that's just really an edge case .
You can only change your name if you also change it in your original nationality.

You can only change your name if you also change it in your original nationality.

You can always be one of the 'lucky' ones with special letters in your name, which are only used in the passports country, so that you'll get a 'new name' made up in your new (additional) passport country. Some countries let you even choose a new name for naturalization, without any needs to return/change your name on your first passport.

There are more people than you'd imagine with two or more passports and different names on either of them, 100% legally. I am one of them :) With biometric pictures and same birthdates it's not useful for much more than a little more privacy, you'll be still trackable in today's world.

a new Identity to conduct business then a Vanuatu(name change) CBI could come in handy , but that's just really an edge case .
unfortunately name change in Vanuatu is not possible any more in 2024. It was possible until Q2 last year...

I agree and dropped the idea. Was curious if it would work out something for me.

Reactions: aragon
I would like to add some reason why 2nd passport could be useful:

For example you are EU citizen and you get 2nd passport NON-EU, you can:

- travel in all other county where your 2nd passport have agreement without visa

- make kyc online registering with the 2nd passport

- in case of restrictions (covid, war) you can fly to your 2nd passport country

- open banks account with second passport

- and many other...

I really advice who have the opportunity to have a 2nd passport...of possible not bought or little island country....

- in case of restrictions (covid, war) you can fly to your 2nd passport country

The war part is important. Especially in today's climate where certain EU countries have reintroduced conscription. Being able to move to a third country and continue to live your life without some politician deciding you should be cannon fodder for their ego is important. You also don't have to deal with issues like Ukrainians whose passports cannot be renewed abroad unless they go back to Ukraine to get it done there - where upon return they will be turned into cannon fodder in a futile war.

Europe turns to conscription as threat of wider war with Russia grows​