Our valued sponsor

2 passports & traveling

Always enter and leave on the same passport, unless you want to spend a few hours in a side room answering questions under hostile conditions. Consequences range from being called dumb and let go after questioning to being barred from ever returning and/or spending time in prison.

Just to add to what @jafo said: entrance stamps don't have to be physical. They can just as well be digital records from when your passport is scanned (by yourself or by border control).

Even if you can get away with it, it's not really worth the risk (in most cases).

Always enter and leave on the same passport, unless you want to spend a few hours in a side room answering questions under hostile conditions. Consequences range from being called dumb and let go after questioning to being barred from ever returning and/or spending time in prison.

Just to add to what @jafo said: entrance stamps don't have to be physical. They can just as well be digital records from when your passport is scanned (by yourself or by border control).

Even if you can get away with it, it's not really worth the risk (in most cases).
Depends on the country, many countries accept that you enter and leave on different passports, but some dont. For example, if you travel between the EU and Africa and have dual EU/African passports, which is very common among the African diaspora in Europe, you basically have to use the EU passport to travel to the EU. The alternative would be to go through the time consuming and very bureaucratic process to get a Schengen visa - that doesnt make sense at all if you have an EU passport.

Likewise when travelling to Africa, you are going to use your African passport, as most African countries have visa requirements for EU citizens, while not as paperwork-intensive as Schengen requirement, they can be capricious and random. At check in in the EU, you just show the African passport and no need for extra paperwork. Likewise on arrival in Africa, it s a much smoother experience travelling in on the local country's passport than on a foreign one.

EU countries typically never have a problem with people leaving on their other passport (as long as they were in the EU legally) - there is no side room issues. I know people who have travelled like this for 30 years without any problems.

• Wow
Reactions: khinkali and jafo
I agree some countries don't seem to have a problem. The UK being one and I even tried to explain the situation and was just waved through. I've done this multiple times over many years.

Australia being another although it might have been because I hold an Australian passport. Again when I couldn't go through the automated gates I spoke with the agent and she said the passports were linked. I explained how I had never done that and she fobbed it off. I learned long ago it's pointless trying to reason with people in a uniform, some authority and a lot of perceived power.

Perhaps I don't understand how the passport system works and the biometric data is enough to link them. That would kind of make sense. For now I've given up and as instructed.

Of course I always try to arrive and leave on the same one and it's only an issue when flying to or from one of the countries for which I have a passport. If a stamp or visa is involved then I definitely use the same one. The quality of the passports may also work in my favour.

Depends on the country, many countries accept that you enter and leave on different passports, but some dont. For example, if you travel between the EU and Africa and have dual EU/African passports, which is very common among the African diaspora in Europe, you basically have to use the EU passport to travel to the EU. The alternative would be to go through the time consuming and very bureaucratic process to get a Schengen visa - that doesnt make sense at all if you have an EU passport.

Likewise when travelling to Africa, you are going to use your African passport, as most African countries have visa requirements for EU citizens, while not as paperwork-intensive as Schengen requirement, they can be capricious and random. At check in in the EU, you just show the African passport and no need for extra paperwork. Likewise on arrival in Africa, it s a much smoother experience travelling in on the local country's passport than on a foreign one.

EU countries typically never have a problem with people leaving on their other passport (as long as they were in the EU legally) - there is no side room issues. I know people who have travelled like this for 30 years without any problems.
You are saying the same thing we are saying.

Hypothetical example:

I have an EU passport. I'll leave the EU with THAT passport.

I have an African passport. I'll ENTER Africa with THAT passport.
When I leave Africa, I leave with an African passport. It's all fine and dandy.

When entering Europe, I'll use my EU passport.

No problem there.

If we're all not mistaken, the OP wants to enter Africa with either an EU passport or an African passport but then leave with the one he did not use to enter.

This WILL cause confusion. Even digitally, OP won't be in the system.

If country you are planning to visit is visa free for both of your nationalities you can apply for a temporary passport and use it to exit the country (e.g. enter as EU and exit as non-EU). But bear in mind that the process of obtaining it, depending on the country, could be cumbersome as you will have to visit a local police station etc.

Reactions: clemens and jafo
To protect your privacy, you can enter and exit on totally different passports...99% of countries don't make a problem with this, as long as your passports are legit obviously.

I've been doing this for years, all around Europe, US, Canada, Asia, etc. The only place it doesn't "work" is the middle east...Where they check for entry stamps when exiting...Most countries border guards do not care this much however. Even these middle east countries only do this because of money....They charge you for 30 days visit visa, so they want to check if you stayed longer, so they can charge you fines...

• Wow
Reactions: jafo
To protect your privacy, you can enter and exit on totally different passports...99% of countries don't make a problem with this, as long as your passports are legit obviously.

I've been doing this for years, all around Europe, US, Canada, Asia, etc. The only place it doesn't "work" is the middle east...Where they check for entry stamps when exiting...Most countries border guards do not care this much however. Even these middle east countries only do this because of money....They charge you for 30 days visit visa, so they want to check if you stayed longer, so they can charge you fines...
Don't try this at Mercosur! There are fees just for this! And they charge you or lock you up or worse: BOTH!

For example:

(1) Brazil: O que é e qual o valor da Multa por Permanência Irregular de Estrangeiro no Brasil? They'll charge you R$10K (~€1800) *and* bar you from entering again. You can hire a lawyer and go through the process for removing the ban, and you will be allowed back in, but you will probably pay about €100K to the Brazilian lawyer! Call it a Gringo Tax! ;)

(2) Paraguay: Si se comprobare que no cuenta con su registro de ingreso al país. El monto de la multa en ambos casos es de seis jornales (Gs. 618.546). (~€80). If you do this here, they will TURN you around on the next flight when you land or, worse, hold you so you can see a judge. This will cost you at least €50K in Paraguay with a lawyer who will scare the sh1t out of you and give half the money to the prosecutor and the judge.

I've seen TOO many wise #sses think they can get away with this, and it's only been trouble and HUGE expenses for them!

Take the GOAT of football, Ronaldinho Gaucho. He tried to pull a fast one in Paraguay and got slammed with an extortion fee of US$1.6 million (dollars)! That is NO joke! If they know you have money, you are so F*CKED!

1717786985408.png

Source: Para deixar a cadeia, o ex-jogador pagou uma fiança de 1,6 milhão de dólares (cerca de R$ 8,3 milhões)

I would NOT advise ANYONE to do this. Don't play games with immigration. Technically, you are NOT in the country yet! You are in NO MAN's land! :oops:

I am in exact same situation, UK and EU passport. EU won’t let me exit with the UK passport if I have entered with my EU passport. They need ti calculate the number of days I was in the EU.
UK doesn’t have a passport control for exit
How do they check it.. to they compare data like this in the airport?

I wanted to exit EU with the UK passport but I was asked to prove the date of entry in order to calculate the number of days. I had to provide my EU passport (therefore, being EU citizen the 90 days rule suddendly was no longer applicable)
However, starting next month EU will enforce the new ETIAS rules for acces and exist

Reactions: jafo
How do they check it.. to they compare data like this in the airport?
In every EU country except for Ireland there is immigration control when you exit. Same in the UK, your pass through border control/immigration only when you enter, no exit checks. Same thing when departing from Canada/USA. So for example when flying from Ireland you can use any passport you like as long as you comply with your destination's country visa requirements. That's what airlines check for.

I wanted to exit EU with the UK passport but I was asked to prove the date of entry in order to calculate the number of days. I had to provide my EU passport (therefore, being EU citizen the 90 days rule suddendly was no longer applicable)
However, starting next month EU will enforce the new ETIAS rules for acces and exist

The ETIAS may be possibly applicable from mid 2025 - not the next month. It'll be applicable for passport bearers of visa free Schengen access countries.

By convention and national regulations, majority of countries require that if a person has their citizenship and passport - travel document to use it for entry and exit.

The Middle Eastern countries performed rigourous passport control to establish whether passport bearer had/have Israeli stamps.

The Middle Eastern countries performed rigourous passport control to establish whether passport bearer had/have Israeli stamps.
Hence the reason why Israelis don't stamp foreign passports any more. Upon a successful border crossing you get a small piece of paper (B2 tourist visa) with your photo and ID details, but you don't really need it as all your details are in their system anyway. I just kept it for myself as a reminder of my trip :)

Hence the reason why Israelis don't stamp foreign passports any more. Upon a successful border crossing you get a small piece of paper (B2 tourist visa) with your photo and ID details, but you don't really need it as all your details are in their system anyway. I just kept it for myself as a reminder of my trip :)
I believe you need it in order to exit Israel

If you read my post carefully, you would concluded that I wrote in past tense :cool: Your post complemented mine, so an OP got a complete answer ;)

Latest Threads