Our valued sponsor

Where to live in Italy with family? Flat tax regime

You have to be careful not to fall into complacency either. Most assume the future will be more or less like the past when in fact it might be radically different in ways we can't even comprehend today.
You can see that a lot in the declining "rich" nations of the world where the population wants to believe that this cosmetic change or that cosmetic change will alter the inexorable path to ruin.
You know the famous quote from Hemingway :"How did you go bankrupt? Two ways. Gradually, then suddenly"
Well you can probably apply that to nations too. And yes Italy is one of the prime candidate.

You have to be careful not to fall into complacency either. Most assume the future will be more or less like the past when in fact it might be radically different in ways we can't even comprehend today.
You can see that a lot in the declining "rich" nations of the world where the population wants to believe that this cosmetic change or that cosmetic change will alter the inexorable path to ruin.
You know the famous quote from Hemingway :"How did you go bankrupt? Two ways. Gradually, then suddenly"
Well you can probably apply that to nations too. And yes Italy is one of the prime candidate.
italy is a large black market from a-z. so less worries there then the nordic ones.

Reactions: jafo and eklia
You don't know about Italian people.
So the tolerance threshold of Italians will surprise you.

It's been decades that they're suffering, but they have a huge tolerance, no one is protesting in the street.
The only one protest for Italians is when they speak with familiars at dinner and they complain about how low their salary is, taxes and about the problems of the country.
They just continue with their life of suffering and that's all. It will continue for more decades. Civil war is the last thing that could happen.
I agree about the country will become like Africa, to be honest that's already happened but you can still have a quality life by living in specific places.
Sorry for the late reply. Thank you for the answer, I have not spent as much time in Italy as I would like to, but from what I hear from relatives and online, the situation is not very good and getting worse.

I am Italian only by citizenship and heritage (Not by culture really), what parts of Italy do you suggest? I might visit Valle D'Aosta soon.

Sorry for the late reply. Thank you for the answer, I have not spent as much time in Italy as I would like to, but from what I hear from relatives and online, the situation is not very good and getting worse.

I am Italian only by citizenship and heritage (Not by culture really), what parts of Italy do you suggest? I might visit Valle D'Aosta soon.
Yes the situation is not good and getting worse, but if you have the money and if you come out with a good plan, you can live a quality life.
The situation is bad for the Italian people that work as employee (they give 60% of their salary in taxes and they don't get enough money for a quality life) and for small-medium entrepreneurs (they pay 60-70% in taxes and they fight every day against bureaucracy and the f*****g government/revenue authority).

So if you have the money and if you don't work in Italy or you don't run a business in Italy, yes you can live there pretty well.
You can go with flat-tax (100K/year) or pay 26% on capital gain or dividends from abroad.
26% makes you angry but you must to consider that the cost for house is 1/3 compared to Switzerland, Dubai, etc and cost of living is 1/2.
If you are High net worth you can go with flat tax (100K/year), if you are pretty wealthy you can go with normal taxation (26% con capital gain and dividends from abroad).

If you like mountains and a cold winter I would recommend you to go near Como or Trento or Bolzano.
If you prefer plains, I would recommend to go in south Garda lake area, or Parma or Bologna. Personally I prefer to stay close but outside the city.

In those places you can buy a small/medium villa with swimming pool, garage, etc from 400k to 800k eur.
If choose those locations, you install cameras, alarm and you pay private guards patrolling the neighborhood, I think you could be safe and pretty happy, personally I would be.
There are thieves all over Italy but you just need to take precautions and avoid problems.

About Valle D'Aosta could be nice if you like mountains, cold winter and living pretty insulated.
Stay away and avoid the biggest cities, there are like a jungle.

Last edited:
Reactions: jafo
Yes the situation is not good and getting worse, but if you have the money and if you come out with a good plan, you can live a quality life.
The situation is bad for the Italian people that work as employee (they give 60% of their salary in taxes and they don't get enough money for a quality life) and for small-medium entrepreneurs (they pay 60-70% in taxes and they fight every day against bureaucracy and the f*****g government/revenue authority).

So if you have the money and if you don't work in Italy or you don't run a business in Italy, yes you can live there pretty well.
You can go with flat-tax (100K/year) or pay 26% on capital gain or dividends from abroad.
26% makes you angry but you must to consider that the cost for house is 1/3 compared to Switzerland, Dubai, etc and cost of living is 1/2.
If you are High net worth you can go with flat tax (100K/year), if you are pretty wealthy you can go with normal taxation (26% con capital gain and dividends from abroad).

If you like mountains and a cold winter I would recommend you to go near Como or Trento or Bolzano.
If you prefer plains, I would recommend to go in south Garda lake area, or Parma or Bologna. Personally I prefer to stay close but outside the city.

In those places you can buy a small/medium villa with swimming pool, garage, etc from 400k to 800k eur.
If choose those locations, you install cameras, alarm and you pay private guards patrolling the neighborhood, I think you could be safe and pretty happy, personally I would be.
There are thieves all over Italy but you just need to take precautions and avoid problems.

About Valle D'Aosta could be nice if you like mountains, cold winter and living pretty insulated.
Stay away and avoid the biggest cities, there are like a jungle.
I have a friend in Como, and it is a very nice area, but I am currently quite fixated on Budapest, The Czech Republic, or Austria.

It depresses me to see a society in decline, and Hungary has a 15% flat tax if I remember correctly, I heard recently that they slash income tax for those with 4 children or more, so I might be a candidate.

I have no issue with thieves and maintaining private security, but mainly I cannot stand <<them>> taking over every customer-facing job and loitering on the streets.

This is 100% true and if there is a rebound away from complacency the rebound will be painful, economically and societally.

Reactions: jafo and JimBeam