Our valued sponsor

How to become tax resident in Thailand? (I got rejected)

Then it’s changed - mine was 1 yr then 2 yr then 5yr and replacements from that point 5yr
Curious, you must replace your current driver license with a Thai one if you live there right, you can't keep your current license?

I recently got rejected a Tax ID Number (TIN) from the Revenue Department in Thailand, after staying more than 6 months last year in Thailand.
What area in Thailand are you in?

If you have a savings account the bank pays you some interest while they withdraw a % for tax. You can claim a TIN to get a refund since you are a tourist. Maybe that would work.
That should work

Came across this

Maybe someone will find some use for it.

Attachments

• thaitin.png
    thaitin.png
    242.6 KB · Views: 81
Reactions: sargentshallots
Curious, you must replace your current driver license with a Thai one if you live there right, you can't keep your current license?
I have a Thai license, If you reside in Thailand or own a vehicle in Thailand you pretty much need a Thai license not International...

Also home countries licenses are not legal, international is, but the insurance won't likely cover some things after a certain period of time.

If you have a savings account the bank pays you some interest while they withdraw a % for tax. You can claim a TIN to get a refund since you are a tourist. Maybe that would work.
I confirm this works as I said. I have just done it today.

I went with a Thai friend and they were giving me a hard time to get a TIN with the Elite Visa and asking for stupid things. Then I told my friend to show them my bank statement from last year where the bank withheld tax on the interest they paid me in my saving accounts. And I told my friend to say that "I was NOT a tax resident last year in Thailand and I want to claim back the tax on the interest, and they have to issue a TIN in order to do that". Long story short (there are more stupid things they wanted to do): they gave it to me. I took my lease contract with me since they require an address in Thailand...

You also need to go to your bank so they give you a document for the tax office that shows the interest paid in the year and the withheld amount. It took me only a couple of minutes in a branch by the tax office.

Last edited:
Btw look like Thailand want to attract new people for 180days (or more) in a 'cheap' way :

the usual mess.
Looks like joining crs and doing that tax crap changes stopped the sweet sweet dolla flowing freely ;)
Instead of increasing revenue, they might be already sitting at a substantial loss.
Their stock market already implying it, with mainly (agricultural) commodities doing well (which are not really reflective of the internal economy) while other ones more indicative of internal dynamics being down at the same time.

Who could have guessed that happening?