Our valued sponsor

winter stay recommendation

void

freedom addicted ultra relativist
Pro Member
Oct 3, 2017
Visit site
Hey guys, yet another thread about seeking the 'heaven on earth' :)
I'm currently looking for inspiration regarding the country/island/region where to spend next European winter.
Warm place, sun, sand, sea (diving, snorkeling, surfing), opportunities to hike, lush green, the less tourists and holiday industry the better. You got the idea....
Thanks for your suggestions and experience.

Hey guys, yet another thread about seeking the 'heaven on earth' :)
I'm currently looking for inspiration regarding the country/island/region where to spend next European winter.
Warm place, sun, sand, sea (diving, snorkeling, surfing), opportunities to hike, lush green, the less tourists and holiday industry the better. You got the idea....
Thanks for your suggestions and experience.
I'm about experiences—healthy experiences—so here are my top three based on "Western" standards for Westerners.

(1) Punta del Este, Uruguay
(It was busier, but with the current financial problems in Argentina and Brazil, it's too expensive for them. Great seafood! Random link: El Destino: Punta Del Este - Enjoy Punta Del Este )

(2) Jurerê Internacional, Brazil (Just a random link: Jurerê Internacional | Praias em Florianópolis | Guia Floripa )

(3) Encarnación, Paraguay. (Another random link: Voyage et séjour Encarnación, au Paraguay : informations, tourisme )

For Asia, I would ask @cryptofriendly. This man has "bounced" through Asia as I have bounced through Latin America—I am just not sure which one of us has "colonized" more "flags" (if you know what I mean. rof/% ;) )

PS. I know China and Japan very well, but I would NOT recommend China (or Japan) for vacation due to the language barrier and the number of photos you will be asked to take with the locals. Seriously, this is just such a turn-off for me in China. On any given day, they would ask you to take pictures with them at least 100 times. Also, I have ZERO attraction to Asian women. I mean, probably in the negative, so it's a big no-no for me. I would ONLY go on vacation to Asia with a Latina because she would NOT be feeling uncomfortable around Asian women...as she can see, they are NOT the same, so I won't have to deal with the "green drama." stupi#21

In Europe, the best I would say is Andalusia or the various Canary Islands if the goal is to have temperatures above 20°

Malta is horrible at this time, humid and not warm and good for spending the whole winter sick.

I had a great time in Mexico during the winter a few years ago. Yes, it may be a bit of a standard destination, but in Yucatan you have consistently good weather, you have all the facilities and it is also very affordable.

I spent the winter of 2020/2021 in Akumal, covid period, not a single tourist, true paradise on earth

• Haha
Reactions: jafo
For Asia, I would ask @cryptofriendly. This man has "bounced" through Asia as I have bounced through Latin America—I am just not sure which one of us has "colonized" more "flags" (if you know what I mean. rof/% ;) )

Thanks Jafo, I am actually lurking and taking notes, as I also plan to see some new places, though I am more looking for a place to escape the scorching heat from April-July.

Ok, here some adventurous ideas: Indonesia, especially east of Lombok (but first drop by the Gilli islands for a week or longer), check out Flores or even Timor Este (this one isn't indo anoymore), or Kalimantan and Sulawesi. Lots of nice places or island off the tourist trail in Philippines as well, if you don't mind the Philippines.

If you like untouched islands, Koh Chang/Koh Payam in south Thailand (different Koh Chang than the one near BKK, very little tourism coz too far for most) have been almost private when I went there (no other people, beside of some stoned guys manning a little shop and the guesthouse owner who took the same boat to the island to open her gh just for me and my 'team'.

If you just want to chill in comfort, few places offer the same price/value as Jomtien in Thailand (don't overlook Bangsaray near by, even nicer and cheaper but further away). Pretty easy to find a condo with a huge pool and gym and Russian babushkas as neighbors for less than $200 monthly - if you double that you can get a place with a Jacuzzi in the living room or on balcony for just a bit more. But you'd be living in Babylon, and spiritual standards are at the bottom there.

Lots of alternatives like Chiang Rai, Chiang Mai, Pai (but all a little cooler in winter - for EU standards still 'hot'). If you are <35, Koh Phangan might be still fun, though overloaded with tourists and nomads nowadays.

Let's me also mention Mui Ne, Danang or Hoi An in VN, Koh Rong (and overlooked Mondulkiri/Ratanakiri) in Cambodia.

You could also check Ishigaki (SP?) island in Japan, which is closer to Taiwan than to Okinawa, and really nice. Some great smaller islands around Kyushu as well.

There are many different opinions from people and I haven't been there yet, but Lankawi in Malaysia seems interesting too, duty free island, free 3 months on entry, no tourist crowds, can go by boat straight back to Thailand or Malaysia. Also Malaysian Borneo seems very interesting, as there are different people living there, and they even had a British sultan in the past for quite a while.

If you prefer South America, why not Nicaragua (don't overlook Little Corn and Big Corn islands) or Argentina (while it's cheap). Or if you looking for more exciting experiences, Brazil and Colombia seem to be a good choice. EDIT: I forgot Isla Margarita (Venezuela), might be good to scoop up a house or condo there if still cheap (a bet on Venezuela's future, high risk/high reward).

PS. I know China and Japan very well, but I would NOT recommend China (or Japan) for vacation due to the language barrier and the number of photos you will be asked to take with the locals. Seriously, this is just such a turn-off for me in China. On any given day, they would ask you to take pictures with them at least 100 times.
I know what you mean. It's not such a daily occurrence in Japan anymore though.
If someone takes a picture of you (mostly without asking for permission), it's one of the countless Chinese 'tourists' that come to Tokyo to load up of taxfree good for resale in China. They just can't help it.