Our valued sponsor

What's the simplest VPN with possible static IP to buy?

clemens

Corporate Services
Mentor Group Lifetime
Jan 2, 2009
Spain
I need a simple VPN that allows me to have a static VPN. I’ve used IVACY and now PureVPN – their support sucks and is terrible. I can no longer use my old account that I’ve paid for. You can wait 14 days for their support to respond.

What are the alternatives? I need something non-technical that works reliably and gives me a static IP, which is really the most important part.

What is the use case ? Do you care if it's a residential or datacenter IP ?
If the use case is web browsing you can just rent a proxy .
You can also setup an wireguard vpn server on a VPS via https://github.com/wg-easy/wg-easy .
Just make sure to set WEBUI_HOST to 127.0.0.1 so you don't expose it to the public .
You can use digitalocean and their free credits for 60 days.
The 6$ droplet should be fine .

Reactions: daniels27
If the above-mentioned process is too technical, several VPS providers have VPN images (one-click installation). You will by default get the static IP from the VPS.

Vultr: https://www.vultr.com/marketplace/apps/wireguard/
Linode (Akamai): https://www.linode.com/marketplace/apps/linode/wireguard-vpn/

Depending on your use-case you can also use OpenVPN (in most cases wireguard is the better solution).

A big benefit of using your own VPS is that your IP is usually not blacklisted.
Depending on the VPN provider you are getting the static IP from, they might use IPs from IP ranges that are blacklisted.

I need a simple VPN that allows me to have a static VPN. I’ve used IVACY and now PureVPN – their support sucks and is terrible. I can no longer use my old account that I’ve paid for. You can wait 14 days for their support to respond.

What are the alternatives? I need something non-technical that works reliably and gives me a static IP, which is really the most important part.
You don’t care about the privacy enhancement of using a VPN? The cheapest is to make your own server but the privacy part is lost as the IP is not shared with anyone else.

You don’t care about the privacy enhancement of using a VPN? The cheapest is to make your own server but the privacy part is lost as the IP is not shared with anyone else.

A VPN is mainly for security reasons, static IPs have the huge benefit that you can easily secure web applications by whitelisting only certain IPs. This is the easiest way to have a relatively secure solution with minimum effort.

The anonymity and privacy topic is a whole different discussion. Complete anonymity is nearly impossible, especially if you do not know what exactly you are doing. A VPN can be a piece of the puzzle, however relying on a VPN for privacy is negligent.

Contabo is horrible . Bad customer support and long downtimes.
This is incorrect. They don't have bad customer support - they have NO customer support ;)
None the less, they haven't had any major outages besides that recent one where people's s**t was down for days. My VPN has been up for nearly a year without issues, and if something get's fucked on the server i'll just reinstall the OS and Wireguard.

This is incorrect. They don't have bad customer support - they have NO customer support ;)
None the less, they haven't had any major outages besides that recent one where people's s**t was down for days. My VPN has been up for nearly a year without issues, and if something get's fucked on the server i'll just reinstall the OS and Wireguard.
Multiple times have I've experienced that their scheduled maintenance took 2-3x times longer than scheduled and even resulted one time in data loss .
Only some worker nodes were deployed , so the loss didn't matter . But anyways annoying .

Wireguard does not need many resources, therefore the costs should be neglectable. I would not use a low-cost hoster if you rely on the dedicated IP, uptime can be crucial. Also, keep in mind that you are renting the IP from the hoster and that it is nearly impossible to take your IP with you when you are switching your hoster.

Go with a solid provider, Digital Ocean, Linode, Vultr are basically all fine and offer lots of locations around the world. This can also be beneficial if you are facing geoblocking.

works great, been using it for some while.
Have you experienced that after installing it, your MS Outlook becomes very slow to respond? This happened to me immediately, and even if I close the program, it doesn't go away. I've considered uninstalling NordVPN to see if it solves my Outlook problem.