Our valued sponsor

UAE resident - renting apartment longterm - implications

bigbite100

Sep 27, 2022
CY
Visit site
Hello,

If you are a uae resident with emirates ID and rent a apartment.
Does this bring negative implications? Because thw rules changed in June 23, I heard it will automatically trigger tax residency - so that means one must file reportings and so on?
If someone rents a apartment he can have utility bills to show it to the banks.

How does actual stay affect this topic? If someone is only a few days or even no days per year with a golden visa in the UAE but he still has the ejari on his name - this will again trigger residency and so on?

Thank you.

Reactions: diro
There is only corporate tax in UAE, no personal income tax. As a "natural person" you don't need to register or file tax unless you make above 1M AED through "business activity" in the UAE (that does not include salary, dividends, capital gains or real estate income). So even if you would somehow magically be considered resident, you do need to fulfill all those requirements to need to do anything.

That means if you can get an Emirates VISA you won't get any troubles?

As an EU citizens how difficult is it to get a VISA for the Emirates to relocate to Dubai ?

you can obtain UAE visa by 3 ways:

1. purchasing real estate of min AED 750,000 ($204,000)
  2. establishing a company
  3. being employed

You get a residency visa for 2/3 years on the above unless you want a golden visa (10 years) which you can acquire via higher real estate investment (min AED 2m) or via employment (salary over $10k and higher level education diploma)

Reactions: Nomado
yeah no other than the famous pwc tax summaries.
Thank you,

It says

A natural person will be considered a UAE tax resident if the individual meets any of the below mentioned conditions:
  • Has one’s usual or primary place of residence and one’s centre of financial and personal interests in the United Arab Emirates.

So that means, if someone rents an apartment anf has an ejari it might be considered as his usual / primary place of residence.

Is that correct?

It is important to differentiate between

a) just "staying" somewhere, in a hotel, apartment, airbnb, a friend
b) having an a registered Ejari contract

Both have its pros and cons. I think simply having an Ejari does not trigger tax residency, however want to be 100% sure that if you won't considered a resident, you should probably cancel the contract. You can still use your investor visa and stay in a short term rental.

I don't know why everyone here is complicating things
Law is very sample
Tax = residency based
You need ejari + to stay 6 months a year at least to obtain tax residency certificate.
That means spend at least 6 months per year + keep your ejari active as long as you want to be considered uae resident.

Reactions: Nomado
Yes I do not fully understand why there is a worry on being resident in UAE for tax purposes (as there are no personal taxes). I take great pleasure in telling ALL financial institutions when they start their KYC BS nonsense that I live and am resident in the UAE (for coming up 30 years).
I know it really upsets UK Banks - I always imagine them sitting there 'spitting feathers' knowing that they cannot touch me (one of their own)

Yes I do not fully understand why there is a worry on being resident in UAE for tax purposes (as there are no personal taxes). I take great pleasure in telling ALL financial institutions when they start their KYC BS nonsense that I live and am resident in the UAE (for coming up 30 years).
I know it really upsets UK Banks - I always imagine them sitting there 'spitting feathers' knowing that they cannot touch me (one of their own)
i would not count on this. since they hold your balls in their hands (aka your money is theirs since its under their direct control) they can pull off all kind of tricks.
I can think of them pulling off some source of funds scams and or it being classified as high risk residency, they will find a way if for whatever reason they want to get you.
The only way is not relying on them, then you can effectively tell em to pound sand.

i would not count on this. since they hold your balls in their hands (aka your money is theirs since its under their direct control) they can pull off all kind of tricks.
I can think of them pulling off some source of funds scams and or it being classified as high risk residency, they will find a way if for whatever reason they want to get you.
The only way is not relying on them, then you can effectively tell em to pound sand.
You are right, but maybe I didn't make it clear, I have nothing in the UK.
As you quite rightly say, the UK Banks CANNOT be trusted - all are thieves!
I did have a company account with that wonderful professional outfit known as RBS - they started to play around with me for the reasons I stated above and they, like Mr Farage and tens of thousands of other innocent British people, closed my account for BS 'commercial' reasons.
And then guess what?, They then took four months yes more than 120 days, to transfer my funds (no small sum I might add) to my new (Trust) account with my accountant, and just to remind you all, this was last year when interest was at 8 or 9% maybe higher, so these authorised and government sanctioned thieves, invested MY money and made a profit illegally - they are all corrupt THIEVES - big Ali Babas the lot of them!