Our valued sponsor

U.S. broker for foreigners? any recommendation?

Kristofferson

Oct 5, 2024
Germany
Sorry, don't know which subforum to put my question to ... I'm a German citizen and looking for a broker that isn't participating in CRS. A friend recommended me Charles Schwab, which looks really good. However I don't have the minimum deposit Charles Schwab requires, so my question is, are there other U.S. brokers open to foreigners, that don't require that amount of minimum balance?

I'm a customer of IBKR, but the IBKR Europe division located in Ireland, and Ireland is part of the CRS treaty.. Are you referring to IBKR USA? Not sure whether I can open an account there. IBKR automatically pointed me to IBKR Europe for being an EU citizen..

My friend told that several years ago he (as a german citizen with his Charles Schwab account) was drawn with 15% taxes on dividends, but 0% on revenues trading shares or options. So I guess it depends. But not sure.
Dividends are subject to withholding tax, whereas capital gains from trading shares or options typically are not taxed for non-resident aliens. You would be obligated to tax the capital gains in your tax-residence country.