Our valued sponsor

Theoretical: Citizen by Birth, Alien by Law

Lekstadt

Mentor Group Silver
Jun 5, 2021
Spain
Visit site
Hello everyone, today I had an epiphany when I woke up. It's probably a really stupid idea, yet it might be a practical approach for those who are looking to lighten the burden of the state on their shoulders given the right conditions.

Let's talk about Johnny. Johnny lives in country A (A is for a$$holes). He decides to "move" to country B, for whatever long it takes, until he finally becomes a tax resident of that country leaving his homeland tax residence behind. However, Johnny hates living there, so, one day, he flies to country C for a "holiday". He is all for adventure, so naturally, after a few days, he rents a car and drives all the way back to country A, quietly slipping back into his old life and never to be seen again. From them on, he deals in cash (from withdrawals in countries outside the union). With the support of friends and family, John avoids having any bills in his name for an extended period, allowing him to focus on building his wealth. He's got an international health plan and takes full advantage of it, crossing borders as needed, thanks to the fortunate proximity to one. With this setup, he's managed to stay under the radar while enjoying the flexibility of his lifestyle. John is happy.

Anyone know of a John who tried something similar and didn’t succeed?
Country A, could be any high-tax, weak-border Western nation. Country B could be Paraguay, Country C could be Albania. There are a few more options for B and C for sure.

The reason this came to my mind is because I realized that resident citizens are are in an unbelievably tough spot here, while illegal immigrants reap all the benefits, without necessarily "paying tribute". There's a lot more to this, but let's just say I know firsthand that even illegal immigrants from Western countries—not just those from Africa—rarely face any real scrutiny, even when the police gets involved, let alone the tax authorities. Not the same for Johnny, but if he took action early enough, why would the tax authorities even bother to look into him, specially if he leaves with "not much" for all they know?

Thanks for reading this, I needed to take it out of my system.

I think it works for quite some time. The main reason it is not done on a wider scale is because of kids that need to go to school etc. But I guess there are many, many people flying under the radar in countries.

How many of these complicated to read threads do we need?
As long as it is not against the forum rules and there is no special section for "philosophy", people will come back and post more of them. It is like grass, it grows where there is already some but not too much.

Why do you need to know this for what usage?
It is for philosophy.

Reactions: Lekstadt