Our valued sponsor

Swiss Bank BSI Blocks Deposit Withdrawals by Some Italy Clients

clemens

Corporate Services
Mentor Group Lifetime
Jan 2, 2009
Spain
Visit site
(Bloomberg) -- BSI, the Swiss unit of Assicurazioni Generali SpA that?s being acquired by Grupo BTG Pactual, said it?s blocking some Italian clients from making cash withdrawals and bank transfers.

?BSI adopted, in some specific cases, some restrictions to cash withdrawals and bank transfers in order to protect the interests of clients, employees and the bank itself,? the bank said Friday in an e-mailed response to questions.

Switzerland and Italy are moving toward an automatic exchange of information on bank accounts and Italians can participate in a program to voluntarily disclose undeclared assets held in Swiss offshore accounts. The measures reflect similar steps by other Swiss banks and were taken following a new tax accord between Switzerland and Italy, the Lugano, Switzerland-based private bank said. BSI declined to say which Italian clients were affected or the amounts involved.

Switzerland and Italy agreed in principle on revised cooperation in tax matters, according to a Jan. 16 Swiss government statement. Both countries are moving toward an automatic exchange of information on bank accounts and Italians can participate in a program to voluntarily disclose undeclared assets held in Swiss offshore accounts.

Lugano, in the Italian-speaking canton of Ticino in southern Switzerland, is about an hour?s drive from Milan. Ticino?s banking industry shrank after Italy introduced tax amnesties starting in 2001 that encouraged citizens to repatriate undeclared funds.

Read more

Reactions: suzy and JohnLocke
It can't come to any suprorise for anyone. Thanks for sharing anyway clement :)

Reactions: clemens and suzy
Because of FATCA I know that US people / Citizens are not accepted by the many offshore jurisdictions, but never hear of any EU Citizens.

BSI, the Swiss unit of Assicurazioni Generali SpA that?s being acquired by Grupo BTG Pactual, said it?s blocking some Italian clients from making cash withdrawals and bank transfers.
This is odd!!

Reactions: suzy
I was triening to open an account with this bank, I even visited Switzerland but they served a cup of cofee and come cookies and asked me to leave their bank... go the fu.. off!!

Reactions: clemens
I was triening to open an account with this bank' date=' I even visited Switzerland but they served a cup of cofee and come cookies and asked me to leave their bank... go the fu.. off!![/quote']
Thank you for your review, did you got an reason for why they refused to open your account?

I was triening to open an account with this bank' date=' I even visited Switzerland but they served a cup of cofee and come cookies and asked me to leave their bank... go the fu.. off!![/quote']
You won't get an account with them unless you have a six figure sum to deposit!

You won't get an account with them unless you have a six figure sum to deposit!
Do you have any personal experience with this bank Jorge? It sounds like you have.

Lookinf for personal experienced users as well. I don't mind to visit Switzerland and this bank to get an account with them as long as I could see some "reviews" or other.. thanks.