Our valued sponsor

Setup advice

Zl1dmitry

Aug 27, 2024
Spain
Dear everyone
Can you give me some information and advise please?
My setup:
1. I am a tax resident of Spain (dont want to change it for now, may be later)
2. I set up a company in Hong Kong for investing in crypto, shares, also to trade them (not many deals) to invest from the company. I am the director and the shareholder. I dont want to pay dividends in the nearest future by this company.
So, do I have to make substance in HK?
(If not, the company is not HK resident... it is resident of Spain?) because the director and office in Spain company incorporated in HK.
For Spain its important that the company has activity, Im also work there, and 1 worker 8h/day (no tax for wealth)
The main idea is to invest in crypto/shares, grow up and avoid big taxes. No cashout in the nearest future.
Thank you!

Dta from Spain-Hongkong :
(2) The term "permanent establishment" includes especially:

• (a) a place of management;
  • (b) a branch;
  • (c) an office;
  • (d) a factory;
  • (e) a workshop; and
  • (f) a mine, an oil or gas well, a quarry or any other place of extraction of natural resources.

Conclusion : Your company would be resident in Spain ( you would be liable for spanish corp tax ) and also CFC rules would affect you .

Reactions: daniels27
thank you! So it will work only if I make a sufficient substance in HK, but in general this setup viable?
No, this setup wouldn't work:
  1. Ownership threshold: As you own more than 50% of the Hong Kong company, Spanish CFC rules apply
  2. Low-tax jurisdiction: Hong Kong's tax rates are likely low enough compared to Spain's to trigger CFC rules.
  3. Nature of income: Crypto investing is typically considered passive income, which is the primary target of Spanish CFC regulations.

Conclusion : CFC rules would probably apply and you would need to pay Spanish tax on the income , even when not distributed . CFC = Controlled-Foreign-Corporation

It’s practically impossible to set up something like what you're aiming for in Europe, and likely in the rest of the world as well. These days, it takes a lot for a company to be taxed abroad rather than where the real owner resides.

So, your idea, as already confirmed here, doesn't work that way. You need to be much more creative if you want to avoid taxation of the HK company in Spain, and it's associated with significant risk.

Reactions: 0xDEADBEEF
Sorry, am I right that if this company will make real activity and has enough substance in HK it can work?
I have company in Rusia (it doesnt apply to any sanction goods/people or companys) I am the owner, director is theother person in Rusia, I also work in this company. (But live in Spain)
So when I pay dividends, I pay 15% in Rusia, then +10% in Spain. If it is enough substance I dont have to pay % of the cost of the company.
And for Spain it is enough (information from spanish consulting)
If the substance is not enough I have also to pay some % of wealth tax as phisical person for owning this company
Or it works different due to Hong Kong?
I can also pay taxes there and get resident tax sertificate
Thank you!