Our valued sponsor

Question on Asset Transfers across multiple citizenships

wellington

Mentor Group Gold
Nov 14, 2020
I never really considered this before but imagine a scenario where.

1) Citizenship of say Bahamas transfers to self as Citizenship of UK.

Whats the taxation criteria there as its essentially self-transfer, and even in the scenario where you 'gift' to another dependent on facts/circumstances it can be gifted freely, i.e curious how states see this for asset(s).

Reactions: daniels27
Asset transfers to yourself aren't transfers in the proper sense. Hence, nobody will tax it. How can they? If you are British, for the eyes of UK you are only British. (I.e. back in the EU days, if you were British and Danish, you could apply for an EEA family permit in the UK for free, you had to go through the more expensive UK family visa. Unless you never told the British that you were also British and they had no record of it.)

If you are gifting/inheriting to other people, it most often depends on the place of residence, previous residence and in some case place of assets (like real estate or the recently discussed US stocks).

Ok, then I am not sure if I understand correctly.

But I think there generally are no tax implications. If there were, those implications would also imperatively apply for any renunification of citizenship. However, as far as I know such taxation does not exist, apart from limited cases involving US where you are simultaneously exiting taxation if living abroad.

Reactions: wellington