Our valued sponsor

Proton VPN for privacy, read this and let's discuss!

uplana

Corporate Services
Mentor Group Lifetime
Apr 15, 2009
Visit site
Does that mean that Proton VPN is now secure against hackers, governments, and others who stick their noses into private people's internet activity?

1725350321847.png

1725350347916.png

I know they've been discussed here on OCT many times before, and some of our most well-known members believe that ProtonMail is as open as a book and cannot be trusted at all.

Unfortunately, I don’t believe you should rely on what they’ve written. I would recommend listening to those who have already commented in this thread.

Reactions: uplana and mraleph
Does that mean that Proton VPN is now secure against hackers, governments, and others who stick their noses into private people's internet activity?

View attachment 7684
View attachment 7685

I know they've been discussed here on OCT many times before, and some of our most well-known members believe that ProtonMail is as open as a book and cannot be trusted at all.

@GPT said that I should write shorter texts. I agree, withou vanity. So, a long story short. The answer is absolutely no.

And before the long one and anything else, the cyber - digital safety can't be achieved by any VPN - be it even a perfect one.

Short answer elaborated. Historia, magistra vitae est.

Follow the money trail. Proton has changed its structure from a company limited by shares to a foundation under Swiss jurisdiction. There is no efficient method to determine UBO in a foundation as the identification will end at the level of a foundation board members. This situation resembles the Crypto AG and Omnisec AG bearer shares. Pretty much self-explanatory.

Yes, as other participants stated, the Proton text is quite marketing oriented.

The Proton infrastructure is not in Switzerland, to say at least, but in countries that do not nominaly and de iure respect privacy.

What's neutral in offering VPN for democracy in a countries that will have elections this year - who will pay the IP transit and IX peering? That has it's name in certain shady government business.

Key problem in any discussion are persons that do not actualy know the subject matter but are apologeticaly stating and defending something, creating religious wars.

VPN is not designed to protect the location and content but to connect dispersed network resources thru proper identification beside other requirements. Content encryption, authentication and other additional services - modules are the overlay.

Commercial VPN providers are not stating that your network device can access others and may be accessed by others due to network policies. Hence, end user's traffic - that may have a content and transit encryption - is secured to the private gateway network interface. From there, it's in cleartext form and is masqueraded to originate from public gateway network interface.

Short - the network traffic is always in a cleartext after decryption and before forwarding and masquerading to public gateway. That is a design principle. Thus, the server administrator can always surveil - and record - the traffic in real time.

There is no secure VPN provider as it's impossible due to design aspects. Only secure VPN is under end-user's control.

When anybody who is religiously loyal to a person, idea, deity, service or a product states something apologeticaly, doubt!

What have you seen exactly in regards to court records and VPN activity, was there a link mentioned between evidence extraction and the studentd process?
DOJ Case, brought it up on here before (specific to VPN), not specific to Studentd process,

Studentd usually occurs when utilising VPN for state(s) outside of the surveillance apparatus - namely countries like Russia, China, HK etc.

Reactions: 0xDEADBEEF
VPNs are not really about privacy. I suppose you can say they help with obscurity, all it does is create a tunnel between you and an end point in another geo-location that encrypts your traffic, circumvent geo-restrictions and regional restrictions and helps you change to different locations.

I look at them from the perspective that even though your ISP doesn’t know what you are doing, the VPN company/server manager still probably does, and whether the no-logs policy is upheld is anyone's guess.

That said, Proton is one of the better options, along with IVPN and Mullvad, which are the three I use most.

Reactions: 0xDEADBEEF
Follow the money trail. Proton has changed its structure from a company limited by shares to a foundation under Swiss jurisdiction. There is no efficient method to determine UBO in a foundation as the identification will end at the level of a foundation board members. This situation resembles the Crypto AG and Omnisec AG bearer shares. Pretty much self-explanatory.
What you're describing here is actually a perfect way to hide an ownership structure – for example, for those who owe money abroad and want to protect themselves from external interventions by creditors! This deserves a separate thread, just created one, possibly kept within the mentor group – it's something I'll look into.

Brilliant!

Last edited: