Our valued sponsor

Perpetual travelers: renting an apartment for address proof in tax-friendly jurisdictions?

A2934

Sep 27, 2023
Jakarta
Question to Perpetual Travellers renting a more or less "throw away apartment" in a tax-friendly jurisdiction without living much there to create some evidence of an address and have somewhere where their CRS data can be reported to because Western banks generally do not like people living nowhere:

Regardless of the country chosen, is there some easy technical way to do it? Would be so nice if one could just pay a set amount of money to somebody and all would be taken care of, like in an Airbnb.

Key unpleasant things include:
- Having to pay extra for tons of different utilities creating an administrative nightmare, especially if not there, instead of being able to make a flat Airbnb style payment for all
- Landlords do not actually like it very much if their apartment stays largely uninhabited while rented out. They fear it gets stuffy, will not be properly heated when it is cold or gets too humid when it is in the tropics due to non-use of a/c, ventilation etc.

Renting an Airbnb forever is also not really feasible since it is very expensive and the landlord will probably cheat you by renting out the place to other people while you are not there.

Anybody found any creative solutions to this or is this just a pain one needs to bear?

Thanks.

Last edited:
These days, you can control just about everything from your phone heat, lights, water, you name it. So, if you get a modern apartment somewhere, that could solve the problem. You need some kind of usage to prove you’re actually living there.

With all the checks in place today, you’ll need bills from the various utilities to back it up.

Reactions: Nomado and A2934
I didn't avail of the service, but in a popular low tax country, I contacted some agents via Facebook Marketplace, and within 2 hours I had an agent offer me a rental contract and ongoing utility bills for 20-25% of the rent. They informed me it's quite common and they have various ways of sourcing the properties, which are then rented again to people who have no need for the bills etc, who apparently also get a 10-15% discount on their rent.

Probably some risks for you, but achieves the same as you are trying to achieve above.

Reactions: A2934
If you are a perpetual traveller in most cases this won't be necessary. Depends on your situation. But most of the time, you do not waste money on such nonsense. Most people use their mother's address in any country and give that to the banks. Your mother's country most often knows very well how much your are there or not and then won't tax you. All countries where you only spend 2 months won't care. But again, it really depends on the names of the countries.

Reactions: jafo