Our valued sponsor

PayPal fees, noticed I paid 38000 euro in fees in 3 years!!

suzy

Corporate Services
Mentor Group Lifetime
Jan 23, 2011
I’ve always laughed when I saw people looking for a cheaper alternative to PayPal because they found its fees too high and thus too expensive for small businesses.

I didn't think they were expensive until I just calculated it. On a revenue of about 200K euros, I paid 38,000 euros in fees.

That's a lot of money!

• Wow
Reactions: jafo
That's a lot of money!
Not fees, straight up theft/taxes. and to add insult to injury, they still freeze your account without prior notices.

Yup stopped using PP decades ago.

On a revenue of about 200K euros, I paid 38,000 euros in fees.

That's 19% in fees your saying you paid...wow :oops:

• Wow
Reactions: jafo
PayPal Fees in general are crazy for merchants, but their "foreign exchange rates" are the real rip-off.

Besides offering you the "amazing opportunity" to have your funds frozen for months.

PayPal differs from Region to Region though regarding fees and service for merchants.

I’ve always laughed when I saw people looking for a cheaper alternative to PayPal because they found its fees too high and thus too expensive for small businesses.

I didn't think they were expensive until I just calculated it. On a revenue of about 200K euros, I paid 38,000 euros in fees.

That's a lot of money!
Can you specify how the fee's are calculate? It does seem a bit too high.
Normally it would be like
2.9-3.9% transaction fees
2% foreign fee
2% currency fee
= 6.9 to 7.9%
Plus the per transactions fee of 0.3eur or so, so depending on your item price this could push the percentage higher.

Reactions: D0naldDuck
Can you specify how the fee's are calculate? It does seem a bit too high.
Normally it would be like
2.9-3.9% transaction fees
2% foreign fee
2% currency fee
= 6.9 to 7.9%
Plus the per transactions fee of 0.3eur or so, so depending on your item price this could push the percentage higher.

That makes even on-chain BTC and ETH transaction fees look interesting, depending on amount :cool:

Yes, it's a lot of money to use a service like this! It's mainly when converting from EUR and USD to local currency that they really charge a lot; their exchange rates are extremely poor. But their transaction fees are also just too high.

After reviewing our accounts, I can see that our accountant had already listed them as an expense with the same amount; I just hadn't noted it.

That's a lot of money!
Currently pay roughly 500$ a week to India
Fees their end with PayPal, fees our end works out to be about 100$ extra in fees both end - ridiculous - told them to accept USDC or equivalent but been told there’s a 30% tax roughly on top for that lol - madness

Yes, it's a lot of money to use a service like this! It's mainly when converting from EUR and USD to local currency that they really charge a lot; their exchange rates are extremely poor. But their transaction fees are also just too high.

After reviewing our accounts, I can see that our accountant had already listed them as an expense with the same amount; I just hadn't noted it.
Yep - though Indians and I’d imagine other countries entities can get a $ account locally and take deposits into that and then sell at favorable rates