Our valued sponsor

Non-EU citizen but EU resident (thru investment) - qualify for EMIs?

Oakgrove

Jan 18, 2021
Visit site
Ok - so we know how challenging it is for a non-EU person to qualify for all these wonderful EMIs we have in the EU.

A colleague who's a US citizen (and normally considered 'toxic' - I'm talking the passport, not the colleague - by any banks in the EU) recently received a Greek Permanent Resident ID card via investment (I guess that's a Golden Visa?) - was wondering if that would be enough for her to qualify for any EU-based EMIs (that would only open accounts for an EU person). I said as long as she can produce that ID card and the utility bill, tax bill, etc, then that should be enough - not sure if they would ask for passport.

Would you agree or have your recent experiences been different? (I have not opened an account in a long time).

And slightly off topic (esp for those who lives or used to live in Greece) - apparently many homes in Greece do not have a street address (they go to the post office or a village store to pick up their post!!) - have any EMIs or banks ever given you a tough time with that or do they just ask for a purchase contract (which probably won't have an address either!)?

Thx!

Ok - so we know how challenging it is for a non-EU person to qualify for all these wonderful EMIs we have in the EU.

A colleague who's a US citizen (and normally considered 'toxic' - I'm talking the passport, not the colleague - by any banks in the EU) recently received a Greek Permanent Resident ID card via investment (I guess that's a Golden Visa?) - was wondering if that would be enough for her to qualify for any EU-based EMIs (that would only open accounts for an EU person). I said as long as she can produce that ID card and the utility bill, tax bill, etc, then that should be enough - not sure if they would ask for passport.

Would you agree or have your recent experiences been different? (I have not opened an account in a long time).

And slightly off topic (esp for those who lives or used to live in Greece) - apparently many homes in Greece do not have a street address (they go to the post office or a village store to pick up their post!!) - have any EMIs or banks ever given you a tough time with that or do they just ask for a purchase contract (which probably won't have an address either!)?

Thx!
yes, residency in the EU is usually sufficient to open accounts with EMI-s or even banks

Thx!

just go w Wise or Revolut they both take US citizens.

RE the need for a POA for a house with no address... strange as all utility bills come with an address but even if they didnt just photoshop it to show the post office address.