Our valued sponsor

Living in a different schengen country than your residence permit allows

clueless

Apr 29, 2024
Budapest
Hey! I am a digital nomad with a main base in schengen country A right now and I'd like that to stay that way :) Problem is this type of permit is limited by the total amount of times/years one can renew it and that expired for me.

So my plan is to move to schengen country B and apply for this same type of RP there. Except I don't really want to move to country B. I would like to try staying where I am right now (Country A) on a residence permit from another schengen country (Country B)

My question is: In what ways can I be fekd in the arse with this plan by the immigration authorities?

I imagine there could be a scenario where someone is really overzealous during a bus border check (these still exist in some parts of schengen) and wants to detain me and ask a lot of questions. And I will need to pretend I am a tourist (going to country A) in that case. I would need to show bookings for return tickets, hotels, etc. But if they would (could they?) check my banking apps then I'd be really screwed (all the transactions would be in country A hinting that I spent more than 90/180 in country A which is definitely no-no). Is that a realistic scenario? Are there others like it?

Additional details:
- My passport is the type that raises eyebrows in the EU currently (Russian).
- I do qualify for Digital Nomad visa in either country easily with all the real documents.
- I understand that too many border stamps entering/leaving Country A might be a problem (if I ever have to show passport) so I don't plan to enter/exit schengen except through country B.
- I understand that I need to rent long-term in country B as well, effectively maintaining 2 apartments.
- I am not aware of any checks that happen during the DN visa duration (i.e. immigration won't come looking for me in my apartment in B when I'm in A).

Reactions: belarus
The main issue is in regards to the work permit. Especially the construction workers are regularly checked and you do need a permit for the country you are from. That's when you get into deep problems.

Otherwise, I would recommend you not to use any Flixbus and the like as they are like constructions. It just is where the police comes to check. Better use a proper train or ask a friend to drive you across the border if you really need to.

If you have a residence permit, there won't be any border stamps in your passport.

Most countries do not check your presence. I think Belgium checks within the first 14 days on arrival.

You may need to pay at least some taxes in the visa country. Having an apartment is not needed, you can also rent a room with some students (they can use it as their living room when you are not there). If you rent the apartment alone, make sure somebody checks your mailbox. Maybe better sublet it, so that there is some light etc.

In general, the police can check anything they want. Hence you are probably better off not having too many banking apps on your phone. You can use ebanking with some hardware token and keep that one at home while you have your pass card with you.

I would recommend not going to the hospital / doctor too often in your living country. As long as they are not too aggressive, you will probably get around paying 0 taxes there.

The biggest fines most likely come from the taxes owed to your living country that you cannot pay. Just beware and try to not get too much publicity, it is not helpful if they know you at the bakery.

I agree with @daniels27.
Just I'll add one more point:
What are the countries A and B is IMO essential.
(As you are perhaps aware,) there is a remarkable number of morons in certain EU countries currently, who are convinced that every Russian should be put in the pillory and then deported, if not publicly hanged, because he/she is a Russian. From my perspective, it concerns e.g. LV, EE, LT, PL, CZ and probably also FI and SE. From the same perspective, this number is small to negligible e.g. in SK, HU, CY, probably also BG.
I must admit I do not know what EU countries issue Digital Nomad visas; but if I were you, I'd avoid certain countries like hell, even for a transit travel. I can imagine well that e.g. some PL student from the example that @daniels27 talked about is able to eagerly report you to institutions when he finds that you are Russian...

Especially the construction workers
I'm not sure I follow wrt this part. I have a remote income from outside of either countries. It is a requirement for DN visa to have such remote contract so I'm def not working construction in either country :)

Thanks for the tip about buses! About taxes, it doesn't look like country B (where I live on paper) wants any kind of taxes from digital nomads.

rent a room with some students
This might put more doubt into the whole digital nomad thing (making it harder to get the visa in B). Most such visas require you to have an income that is multiple times the local avg salary so renting with students is sus. I do plan to just go to B every once in a while (once a month at least). But yeah miniscule utility bills that would result from that are an interesting question.

publicly hanged
The country list is pretty spot on, I would add balkan places (Serbia, yes, its not schengen and Croatia) to the 'safe' list.

report you to institutions
oh wow, definitely don't plan to blabber about to everyone I meet haha

With a Russian passport it is like try and fail within Schengen. Sometimes you will get away with your stay and sometimes they won't let you get in.

I like how people here begin to protect russians from negative attitudes from Eastern European countries, at the moment when the author literally asks for violating immigration laws now (which is a criminal liability), and tax laws later (when he has lived in such a country for half a year).

Maybe it would be better to advise him not to engage in bulls**t, but to comply with the laws of the country in which he wants to live or come back to russia?

First they burden the system, and then they complain that they are not loved, but they do not see the relationship with their actions, like blind people...

Reactions: Marshal and clemens
I like how people here begin to protect russians from negative attitudes from Eastern European countries, at the moment when the author literally asks for violating immigration laws now (which is a criminal liability), and tax laws later (when he has lived in such a country for half a year).

Maybe it would be better to advise him not to engage in bulls**t, but to comply with the laws of the country in which he wants to live or come back to russia?
Spot on response mate.

First they burden the system, and then they complain that they are not loved, but they do not see the relationship with their actions, like blind people...
I (hopefully) understand your perspective; and to a remarkable extent I share it.

Having said that, I also like to say that

A.
The situation that Russians in certain countries are currently ostracized – not because burdening the system but just because they are Russians, unfortunatedly, exists. And when anybody is facing negative attitudes just because being Russian/American/Chinese/you name it – it is unacceptable for me.

B.
I admit that politically, I do not like Schengen visa concept. Unless the EU becomes a federation (I hope that it will not happen), I am convinced that any country should have a right to control who is inside it's borders. But on condition that Schengen visas are universal (they are), I do not understand why so called Digital Nomad visas are not universal. FMPOV, it has no solid foudation. Hence, while it is not legal what @clueless wants to do, I do not dare to claim that it is not legit. ;)

Reactions: clueless
I (hopefully) understand your perspective; and to a remarkable extent I share it.

Having said that, I also like to say that

A.
The situation that Russians in certain countries are currently ostracized – not because burdening the system but just because they are Russians, unfortunatedly, exists. And when anybody is facing a negative attitudes just because being Russian/American/Chinese/you name it – it is unacceptable for me.

there is no smoke without fire.
you call them morons, I call them people who have good enough reasons for it.

I’m almost sure that you will ignore a gypsy woman with a couple of small children who asks you for a phone on the street to call, but if it’s a white woman you’ll be more likely to think about it.
the same thing here.
I don’t see the point in a feigned phrase about equality if in fact this does not exist in the world.

B.
I admit that politically, I do not like Schengen visa concept. Unless the EU becomes a federation (I hope that it will not happen), I am convinced that any country should have a right to control who is inside it's borders. But on condition that Schengen visas are universal (they are), I do not understand why so called Digital Nomad visas are not universal. FMPOV, it has no solid foudation. Hence, while it is not legal what @clueless wants to do, I do not dare to claim that it is not legit. ;)

Well, the rules/laws of life, work, tourism within the Schengen zone are quite transparent and understandable. the fact that someone doesn’t like them is his problem. Immigration laws, like any other, simply must be followed.

and what you call “legit” is obviously not it, since practically the first thing in advice is that you should avoid people/place/countries who have the right to check documents and the legality of staying in the country.

who cares if you take Flixbus across the border or you can be reported by some student roommates somewhere if your stay is 100% legit? You shows your documents confirming legality and you go away no difference your are russian or north korean or any other citizen, in no matter what county this check being place.