Our valued sponsor

Ledger Stax - what do you think ?

CoinMaster

Mentor Group Lifetime
Jan 5, 2017
What do you think about the new Ledger Stix
1722236838577.png

https://shop.ledger.com/products/ledger-stax
I don't know what to say and if it is useful I can't figure out what the benefit is compared to the USB stick they had before which worked well just with a cable or Bluetooth!

Does someone know what exactly the big thing is with this device?

Reactions: EliasIT
what do you mean with key feature... as i understand it, the device works like the traditional ledger USB thing they alwas have had
exactly... my point is there is no feature that makes it any (significantly) different from the other ledger devices - it's just supposed to look cool

Reactions: CoinMaster
I thought thats a service you opt-in if you want to ?
yes, it was about the "scandal" a year ago... this WBD podcast episode sums it up pretty well

whats a better alternative?
I'm no as big fan as I used to be due to some controversial decisions they made recently but I believe Trezor is a better option

So, you're saying the Ledger company is a rat! They are sneaky and slimy parasites pretending to protect your coins but can block your Ledger wallet at any time?

This is completely unacceptable!! I am in shock.

How do you know Trezor doesn't do the same?

Nasty thing to read. I have to replace some assets and through away the ledger devices.

So, you're saying the Ledger company is a rat! They are sneaky and slimy parasites pretending to protect your coins but can block your Ledger wallet at any time?
not sure if @ActionMan tried to imply this but it's not true
the video snippet is taken out of context and this only relates to their (idiotic) service allowing distribution of your recovery shares amongst third party entities "to make custody easier for masses" - it was probably well-meant and definitely poorly communicated and suffers from what was said in the video with respect to potential subpoenas etc.

putting this aside I'd still avoid this company and their products but it's just me - it's two orders of magnitude better to have your keys on ledger device than in any software wallet, period

Reactions: JohnLocke
it's two orders of magnitude better to have your keys on ledger device than in any software wallet, period
Ledger is nothing more than a glorified hot wallet. but I agree with you, if you have the nano and didn't upgrade to their latest firmware nor have the ledger recover (And ledger live), then you are probably good. For me personally, I prefer Trezor or bitbox02. Or just use Cryptosteel and store your seeds in a safe somewhere, Cold, like it meant to be.

use Cryptosteel and store your seeds in a safe somewhere, Cold, like it meant to be.
not an option for those working actively with their coins
and even in case of a passive long-term holder (feels like something practically non-existent to me anyways) it's wise to have a hw wallet initiated to avoid mistakes and stress from impulsive decisions
also single word list backup is a bad idea in most cases