Our valued sponsor

Investing into US stock market as a nonresident alien while avoiding US estate tax

PeepingTom

Sep 25, 2024
Athenes
Hi. Looking to invest into the US stock market but because I'm a nonresident alien living in Europe I am at risk of getting nearly half of my portfolio confiscated by virtue of the egregious estate tax the US has set in place for nonresidents investing into US domiciled securities. I have been doing research for workarounds. So far I have found two options. First, one could invest into Ireland-domiciled ETF's, but these two are not without their flaws. Based on what I've read, one will have to pay capital gains taxes in Ireland in the event of sale even if one has no relation to Ireland, and Irish capital gains tax is really high. Second option is to simply invest into mutual or pension funds holding US stocks and ETF's through local financial institutions. I myself am from Eastern Europe and banks here do offer such products. Is anyone aware of any other methods of investing into US stock market while protecting oneself from the possibility of the rapacious US estate tax?