Our valued sponsor

Interest tax withheld in Wise account

European

Mar 10, 2023
Iceland
Visit site
Hi all,
I have some money in USD in a Wise account. It pays monthly interest (called "cashback" by Wise) but they withhold 30% in tax for the Belgian state. I am NOT a tax resident in Belgium and Wise knows it.

1. Is there a way to avoid the withholding?
2. If not, how and when can I claim that money back from the Belgian tax authorities?

Thanks

How much have you earned from them, since you find it interesting?
I received a grand total of 0.10 cents today, which obviously doesn’t make me dance with joy or worry too much about their 30% tax.

1. Is there a way to avoid the withholding?

No

2. If not, how and when can I claim that money back from the Belgian tax authorities?

Not worth it.

Maybe read the below and switch from Wise Balance Cash Back to Wise Interest where there is no withholding tax applied and you get much higher rates.

Not worth it.
Maybe read the below and switch from Wise Balance Cash Back to Wise Interest where there is no withholding tax applied and you get much higher rates.

Thanks @Martin Everson
Why not worth it? Do you have additional info on the procedure?

It doesn't look like Interest is available in my country of residence

Why not worth it? Do you have additional info on the procedure?

Yes....you can give it a go below and tell us how you got on. You would need Wise to help you etc I believe.

It doesn't look like Interest is available in my country of residence

:confused:

I would wait until EU FASTER is implemented.

P.S How much withholding tax are we talking about here that you want back. Your in Iceland and default WHT between Iceland and Belgium is 10% so you could theoretically get back 20% of WHT.

Reactions: European
Yes....you can give it a go below and tell us how you got on. You would need Wise to help you etc I believe.

:confused:

I would wait until EU FASTER is implemented.

P.S How much withholding tax are we talking about here that you want back. Your in Iceland and default WHT between Iceland and Belgium is 10% so you could theoretically get back 20% of WHT.
That would be 66% of WHT if I am not mistaken

That would be 66% of WHT if I am not mistaken

Your correct the WHT would be reduced from 30% to 10% WHT under DTA so 20/30 is 66% of WHT you get back

I worded it completely wrong and should have just wrote you get back 66.66% of the 30% WHT....fullstop conf/(%

Reactions: European and Why