Our valued sponsor

How to Proceed with Untaxed Crypto Earnings

ramsey998

Jul 16, 2024
World
Hello Folks!

I want to help a friend of mine. He lives in a high-tax EU country and runs a company there (nothing to do with the internet). I am living in another country so I am also not 100 % sure about his laws but he told me a few things. Beside of that, he earned a higher 6-figure amount over the last few years and was paid in crypto and provided services for that (nothing shady, 100 % legal). He never declared that part of income (stupidity) though. He also did not use, exchanged, or cashed out the cryptos. The cryptos are "hidden".

In addition, the cryptos also increased in their worth, and they will probably continue to do so. He is not planning to use or cashout those cryptocurrencies in the next few years because he does not need the money and wants to hodl them.

One problem is, that the cryptos went through regulated exchanges and that you can trace every single transaction, including the initial dates. However, he never used his real name/ documents but he also hasn't done more than that in terms of privacy and security (for example, he did not use a VPN).

He is now thinking about his options:
  1. Pay income tax on those sales (can go up to about 50 % in his country) backwards. You don't pay fines in his country if you tell them that you have evaded taxes but they haven't found out yet. Then pay tax on the price increases as soon as you sell them (realize the gains). Problem: There is a rule in his country that forbids to just move abroad before cashing out cryptos/ shares/ investments and save this tax. You need to pay the tax upon the day when you leave the country for the current gains (basically how much have you gained during the time in this country).
  2. Never tell anyone. Risk of getting caught, fines, maybe prison. After several years the income tax expires and they can not fine you anymore. The problem is that you still have the cryptos and they will probably increase in worth, so you still need to pay tax on the gains when you cashout or you have another tax evasion. This only expires several years after the date you sell them (bad).
  3. Any other option I am not aware of?
The problem also is that one can track the payments on the blockchain and see the initial payments and the respective dates (they could also find out if the exchange reports the data to authorities and they to extensive investigations). So he can not really move abroad now and declare income from previous years in a new country because he was a tax resident in EU at this time. Also they could theoretically find out that those incomes were from previous years and not after he moved away.

One idea was to pay the income tax now and then move away later and cash-out in another country. But as said, thats not easily possible as far as I understand the laws in his country.

Not paying anything and not declaring anything might realistically be low-risk. But still, there is some risk involved. They could only find out if they get enough data from the crypto exchanges and do a deep investigation or if one previous client tells the authorities. Maybe he could just move the cryptos to a secure wallet and securely hide the seed phrases for 10-20 years so no one will ever find them and just says that he doesnt own them if they find out and want to search his office for proofs. But not sure about that.

But he told me that he wants to find a better and secure solution and pay taxes but as low as possible.

I would be grateful for ideas and your opinions. He would also be interested to speak to a lawyer/ tax advisor anonymously if someone can recommend anyone.

Reactions: vonudimh and jafo
Hello Folks!

I want to help a friend of mine. He lives in a high-tax EU country and runs a company there (nothing to do with the internet). I am living in another country so I am also not 100 % sure about his laws but he told me a few things. Beside of that, he earned a higher 6-figure amount over the last few years and was paid in crypto and provided services for that (nothing shady, 100 % legal). He never declared that part of income (stupidity) though. He also did not use, exchanged, or cashed out the cryptos. The cryptos are "hidden".

In addition, the cryptos also increased in their worth, and they will probably continue to do so. He is not planning to use or cashout those cryptocurrencies in the next few years because he does not need the money and wants to hodl them.

One problem is, that the cryptos went through regulated exchanges and that you can trace every single transaction, including the initial dates. However, he never used his real name/ documents but he also hasn't done more than that in terms of privacy and security (for example, he did not use a VPN).

He is now thinking about his options:
  1. Pay income tax on those sales (can go up to about 50 % in his country) backwards. You don't pay fines in his country if you tell them that you have evaded taxes but they haven't found out yet. Then pay tax on the price increases as soon as you sell them (realize the gains). Problem: There is a rule in his country that forbids to just move abroad before cashing out cryptos/ shares/ investments and save this tax. You need to pay the tax upon the day when you leave the country for the current gains (basically how much have you gained during the time in this country).
  2. Never tell anyone. Risk of getting caught, fines, maybe prison. After several years the income tax expires and they can not fine you anymore. The problem is that you still have the cryptos and they will probably increase in worth, so you still need to pay tax on the gains when you cashout or you have another tax evasion. This only expires several years after the date you sell them (bad).
  3. Any other option I am not aware of?
The problem also is that one can track the payments on the blockchain and see the initial payments and the respective dates (they could also find out if the exchange reports the data to authorities and they to extensive investigations). So he can not really move abroad now and declare income from previous years in a new country because he was a tax resident in EU at this time. Also they could theoretically find out that those incomes were from previous years and not after he moved away.

One idea was to pay the income tax now and then move away later and cash-out in another country. But as said, thats not easily possible as far as I understand the laws in his country.

Not paying anything and not declaring anything might realistically be low-risk. But still, there is some risk involved. They could only find out if they get enough data from the crypto exchanges and do a deep investigation or if one previous client tells the authorities. Maybe he could just move the cryptos to a secure wallet and securely hide the seed phrases for 10-20 years so no one will ever find them and just says that he doesnt own them if they find out and want to search his office for proofs. But not sure about that.

But he told me that he wants to find a better and secure solution and pay taxes but as low as possible.

I would be grateful for ideas and your opinions. He would also be interested to speak to a lawyer/ tax advisor anonymously if someone can recommend anyone.
There are NO mutes in prison! Ever! ;)

PS. You and your "friend" are making WAY TOO many assumptions and arguments for the "tax thieves!" Defense lawyers will LOVE you two, so they can gang bang...sorry I meant "bill" you into debt!

Listen to my three friends explaining it in PLAIN English:

I find these threads, which start with, "I'm writing for a friend" absurd and comical at the same time. And as always, a new user, which makes the palm face even worse.

So your friend doesn't have internet, or doesn't know how a forum works? Yet has no problem running a business with crypto?

Why can't you just use "I" instead of "my friend" I seriously don't get it. And I have seen so many threads like these here that it's getting tedious.

One problem is, that the cryptos went through regulated exchanges
I don't get it. If "he" got paid in crypto, how did they go through regulated exchanges, or did "he" do so on purpose?

I find these threads, which start with, "I'm writing for a friend" absurd and comical at the same time. And as always, a new user, which makes the palm face even worse.

So your friend doesn't have internet, or doesn't know how a forum works? Yet has no problem running a business with crypto?

Why can't you just use "I" instead of "my friend" I seriously don't get it.
Plausible deniability! "I" is a confession. "My friend" is NOT! It's just hearsay! The "friend" can deny the whole thing or simply "disappear."

OP's tactic is very wise and prudent! I commend him for his forethought! This is evidence that proves his Ventromedial Prefrontal Cortex (vmPFC) is working correctly! ;)

Akin to discussing research peptides (or SARMS or PEDs)....it's always my Russian or Chinese (overseas) friend's dog, cat, goat, or pet hamster taking BPC-157 and Des(1-3)IGF-1. ;)

PS. During the perp walks to court that start at 4:00 am for a hearing at 16:00, I sat in court and witnessed so many indictments where the only evidence was the "confession" of the defendant on either Skype, by email, FaceBook, MySpace, on a website, on a forum, etc.,
I mean, +90% of those indictments were the defendants "admitting/confessing," unbeknownst to them, something they had NO idea was even a crime. stupi#21 - Source: How Congress made you a federal criminal - The problem is so serious that prominent attorney Harvey Silverglate estimated that every American unknowingly commits three felonies a day.
Law enforcement and prosecutors laughed at these defendants. They labeled them "watermelons," which is a paronomasia on "low-hanging fruit," People of Colour (POC), and their appetite for "watermelons" since most of these defendants were POC. hi%#

Is fraud the correct term? Stolen identity? Whatever it is, this is illegal.

Why can't you just use "I" instead of "my friend" I seriously don't get it. And I have seen so many threads like these here that it's getting tedious.

I don't get it. If "he" got paid in crypto, how did they go through regulated exchanges, or did "he" do so on purpose?
We like to discuss subjects and find solutions and advices together. This is just a tactic to avoid self-incrimination formally, which in some jurisdiction may be enough to sentence you.

We like to discuss subjects and find solutions and advices together. This is just a tactic to avoid self-incrimination formally, which in some jurisdiction may be enough to sentence you.
#Bingo!
False confessions.webp

Source: False Confessions

He also did not use, exchanged, or cashed out the cryptos. The cryptos are "hidden".

One problem is, that the cryptos went through regulated exchanges and that you can trace every single transaction, including the initial dates.
These two sentences are self-excluding. How can it go through a regulated exchange and be "hidden"? Unless he got paid through a private wallet and used correct network protective measures which you said he hasn't at all then very much consider it being known. Getting away with it now doesn't mean a quick check or thorough investigation of his personal/company accounts won't reveal it. The issue from a government perspective nowadays is not knowing something but rather finding it in the large haystack of information they have en masse. Something which is of course changing with the addition of AI and more automated flagging than ever.

he also hasn't done more than that in terms of privacy and security (for example, he did not use a VPN).
If he was accepting payment in good will meaning you play the "I really forgot" card to tax authorities this can be seen as a small plus as the internet history will reveal it clear as day and there was no malice in intention. However if he had made searches online in clear view of the type of "how not to pay cryptocurrency taxes" "can tax authorities find out about not paid cryptocurrency taxes" etc. that would neglect it and make it worse than it already is. How it will all be seen in a soap-bending way once they know about a fake/forged account that operates under is a real gamble.

The risk in the scenario is not low at all. You should reevaluate the situation in a realistic way. Crypto exchange can easily submit notices to tax authorities/government as part of AML rules same as your bank would if you suddenly got 10x your income in a month (SAR). Regulated entities prefer when it comes to everyday people/companies to report you which might be nothing really or close your account down (risk) rather than pay large fines.

Everyone wants to pay as little as legally possible. In this case however it is a done and cut case at least in my opinion. The luxury of choosing whether to pay or not as well as self-adjusting the actual and potential risk has already been removed by your "friend" by being careless in the first place. On top of being careless he was also incredibly stupid to not use their real name to business payments... from their own business. It could carry a potential charge and jail time for that very genius move alone and you should be worried about that rather than "paying low taxes".

Forget about "anonymous" lawyers or council. You don't need a degree to see the situation is almost fucked beyond repair. Find and hire a quality lawyer+tax accountant who can contact the tax authorities and work out a deal. Pay your 50% or whatever it is and enjoy it especially fine-free as you said if you come forward. Everything else is all the time worry, for lets face it, peanuts amount not to mention if stretched over multiple years.

Last edited:
Count One : - Wire-fraud equivalent for EU
Count Two : - Money Laundering Equivalent for EU.

He never declared that part of income (stupidity) though. He also did not use, exchanged, or cashed out the cryptos. The cryptos are "hidden".
Count Three : Tax Evasion.

Reactions: gh0p

My friend think the same, he does not understand why you don't say I. My friend said it may be that it is back from his childhood.

To OP's friend, you may ask him to lend you some money for the mentor group gold and to get access there, there is plenty of information to be found there to cover what your friend want to do. You can print it in PDF's or Paper so he can see it.

Reactions: vehzag
My friend think the same, he does not understand why you don't say I. My friend said it may be that it is back from his childhood.

To OP's friend, you may ask him to lend you some money for the mentor group gold and to get access there, there is plenty of information to be found there to cover what your friend want to do. You can print it in PDF's or Paper so he can see it.
It reminds me of youth, whenever your parents caught you with cigarettes, weed or alcohol, and the intelligent fifteen-year-old you said, "I'm just holding it for a friend."

Our parents didn't buy it, and the tax authorities won't buy it either.

This might be a bit off-topic, but I'm curious if his friend hadn't sent money to the exchange, and just kept it in his wallet, how would he have gotten caught?

Reactions: vehzag
Some of these answers...I swear...if I had to guess, were written by tax authorities. ca#"!
Yeah got me, I'm a tax officer evading taxes in Switzerland.

it's interesting read. I have been a a situation where a partner of mine actually did it and we find out about it when it was too late. Asking him why he said what he said he thought it would be better for the case eek¤%&

Thanksfully we had a good lawyer who dealed with it and got him out of this mess.
#Bingo! Naivety, gullibility, honesty, and integrity when dealing with (most - not all) public servants WILL backfire.

I had a billionaire American "acquaintance" (RIP) who ran one of the most amazing companies in the world. One day, he dropped this truth bomb on me: The country, its people, and its history matter...in general terms. It's a safe metric to consider!