Our valued sponsor

How to get started storing profits offshore and tax free

bdb

Aug 1, 2024
earth
Visit site
Hi all,
I am US-based, moving from a W2 employee to a 1099 employee. Long-term I am interested in establishing a company in LatAm to outsource some of the tech-related work I do for various clients. I am interested in optimizing my tax liability in the immediate term, and beginning a long-term plan to significantly reduce it while remaining well within the legal confines of the US. Ultimately, I would like to accelerate my accumulation of wealth and setup a good path forward for my family.

I just finished reading Own Nothing, but Control Everything. Any getting started guides or baby-steps would be greatly appreciated.

I guess the question is, how do I work to start my company, bank account, etc setup in a way that allows me to get paid in a tax-free manner, store profits tax-free (or low tax), and pay myself a reasonable salary that I then pay US taxes on. I would like to set things up in a way that the US only sees the money being paid to me from the offshore company as "my money" that I control, and the rest of it is just some other third party (from their perspective).

Reactions: vonudimh
second that
You follow the advice of @jafo and buy a plant ticket to your favourite LatAm country. You then set up a company there owned and managed by somebody you trust. You can then hire two employees working for you. You also hire yourself and pay yourself a salary to the US.
I took a flight last week to my destination of consideration Panama now I'm here to smell the air and get a feeling what Panama is after an 16 hours flight!