Our valued sponsor

Hong Kong Company Bank account? (Real Bank)

banafinfodafuggiano

Member Plus
Jun 18, 2020
Panama
I strictly require to open a Real physical bank account for my Hong Kong company.

I heard it's very hard nowdays, however, is it actually possible? What is the timeframe?

I can fly to Hong Kong if required, for a week or two.

I strictly require a bank account in Hong Kong or even a real bank account in nearby jurisdictions if that is possible,
as long as these are real banks like HSBC, DBS, etc... because the company that pays my business, does not pay to EMIs.

my current business is registered in Canada and I'm shortly switching to HK due to the tax benefits. (I'm already a Canadian non-resident)
My canadian business is in the ecommerce (toys for children niche) and making high 6 figures in sales a year. 100% of my customers are in the EU/USA.

Reactions: jafo
Reactions: uranium
So why did you chose a HK company? You margins will be eroded bu currency conversion and processor fees.
It's 0% tax on foreign income, that's maximum a 2-4% in conversion fees , essentially a 2-4% tax , Correct me if I'm wrong?

If you were a bank: why would you open an account for this business?

The owner doesn't live in Hong Kong. The business has no customers in Hong Kong. Is there an office in Hong Kong? Some employees? Are there any suppliers in Hong Kong that you require a HKD bank account to pay?
I have suppliers that are based in Shenzen, if that counts?

The company is incorporated in Hong Kong and my previous companies have a long track record of several millions of USD in sales over the past 3 years, would this be enough to show them?

I have suppliers that are based in Shenzen, if that counts?
That helps, especially if you plan to pay them in HKD or CNY from your HK bank account. Add a locally resident director, settlements from Hong Kong payment processors, and it's starting to become more interesting to the bank.

The company is incorporated in Hong Kong and my previous companies have a long track record of several millions of USD in sales over the past 3 years, would this be enough to show them?
In the overall application review, this will be something they consider. Having a proven track record helps.

The fact that your customers are outside HK doesn't automatically means that it's foreign income.

Where the work is performed? Where the managers are located and taking decision?
I'm not based in HK, customers are not based in HK, suppliers are not based in HK. The management is all outside HK, therefore it should be exempt from local corporate taxes.

That helps, especially if you plan to pay them in HKD or CNY from your HK bank account. Add a locally resident director, settlements from Hong Kong payment processors, and it's starting to become more interesting to the bank.

In the overall application review, this will be something they consider. Having a proven track record helps.
Settlements would be from Stripe, in HKD, does it make any sense?

I strictly require to open a Real physical bank account for my Hong Kong company.

I heard it's very hard nowdays, however, is it actually possible? What is the timeframe?

I can fly to Hong Kong if required, for a week or two.

I strictly require a bank account in Hong Kong or even a real bank account in nearby jurisdictions if that is possible,
as long as these are real banks like HSBC, DBS, etc... because the company that pays my business, does not pay to EMIs.

my current business is registered in Canada and I'm shortly switching to HK due to the tax benefits. (I'm already a Canadian non-resident)
My canadian business is in the ecommerce (toys for children niche) and making high 6 figures in sales a year. 100% of my customers are in the EU/USA.
Offer a halfway impressive deposit, it could be on a private account, and shop around.
Maybe they are interested if its high enough.

Chances are better than in the recent years, since many folks left for Singapore.

Seems like your only genuine connection to Hong Kong or the nearby region is a supplier in Shenzen. The HKD settlements from Stripe could just as well be shifted somewhere else, i.e. where your business is operated from.

I've seen companies with more ties to HK than that be declined. But you can try. Worst case they say no.
I understand what you're saying, however I don't really want to pay all incorporation fees and go through their due diligence for incorporating in HK for then just getting denied for a simple thing such as a Bank account.

Do you know any good bank that has more success rate at opening accounts than others to avoid?

I understand what you're saying, however I don't really want to pay all incorporation fees and go through their due diligence for incorporating in HK for then just getting denied for a simple thing such as a Bank account.
The incorporation costs are small. Due diligence will take a long time regardless of when you start, so might as well start now.

Do you know any good bank that has more success rate at opening accounts than others to avoid?
Stick with the big banks. HSBC, DBS, UOB, OCBC, and Standard Chartered. Sometimes Hang Seng and BEA work.

Why would a bank open you a bank account if there are literally zero ties with HK.

I don't say you have zero chance but unless you convince them with a large deposit i don't think they will be ever interested in dealing with you.
The Tie is the company is incorporated in Hong Kong and the money would be sitting in the Hong Kong bank, isn't that a good enough reason to open a bank account? After all they make money out of fees from transactions and interest rates on the deposits.

It's fascinating how money, when reaching the right threshold, can open all closed doors despite rules and laws.
How much money are we talking about? I can easily deposit $200K but I presume that is not enough for them?

Is it possible to open a Singaporean bank account for the Hong Kong company?

Last edited:
How much money are we talking about? I can easily deposit $200K but I presume that is not enough for them?
You will have to ask the banks directly (OCBC, UOB, DBS, Standard Chartered, ...)

Sure it is and common practice. Banking offshore is a way to mitigate HK country risks and benefit from the reliability and stability of the international banks in Singapore.

It's fascinating how money, when reaching the right threshold, can open all closed doors despite rules and laws.
Yup. Thats how this system works and maybe have worked since the dawn of time...

You will have to ask the banks directly (OCBC, UOB, DBS, Standard Chartered, ...)

Sure it is and common practice. Banking offshore is a way to mitigate HK country risks and benefit from the reliability and stability of the international banks in Singapore.
That will require much more deposit (maybe 2-3x?) which you have to deposit in HK to make the banks look at you.

The Tie is the company is incorporated in Hong Kong and the money would be sitting in the Hong Kong bank, isn't that a good enough reason to open a bank account? After all they make money out of fees from transactions and interest rates on the deposits.

You could use that as a starting point to get you in.
It could be working now in HK, since they have suffered recently but Im not up to date with hk.