Our valued sponsor

(HELP) How to Break Free and Thrive as a Digital Nomad? The Ultimate Guide to Living Without Limits

diro

Offshore Agent
Mentor Group Gold Premium
Jun 1, 2009
Visit site
There's been a ton of stuff written about Digital Nomads—novels, posts, and even the media is all over it! But there's not really a guide on how to actually start being a Digital Nomad if you want to completely leave your current life behind and live without a permanent home or owning anything.

How do you even open a bank account without an address?How do you get a mobile phone number without a place to live or a bank account?And how do you buy anything if you've only got crypto and can't exactly use bitcoins at the grocery store?

Does anyone have a solid plan on how to get started? I'm ready to sell EVERYTHING I own and just live 180 days here, 180 days there, and everywhere else, as long as I can have some PEACE and avoid dealing with annoying tax reports and authorities getting into my business.

There's been a ton of stuff written about Digital Nomads—novels, posts, and even the media is all over it! But there's not really a guide on how to actually start being a Digital Nomad if you want to completely leave your current life behind and live without a permanent home or owning anything.
It is called the school of life.

How do you even open a bank account without an address?How do you get a mobile phone number without a place to live or a bank account?And how do you buy anything if you've only got crypto and can't exactly use bitcoins at the grocery store?
Have you ever been outside your country? Mobile phone numbers are easy to get. Plenty of prepaid cards sold on the spot. You can refill online.

Bank accounts are no problem. You can either
  • Use the address of a business partners that sends you things where you are.
  • Use the address of you mother, brother or son.
  • Open an account in the UK and tell them to have a house mailbox and thus want to collect the card from then.
  • Or as in many places like Central Asia, Asia etc. you open it and collect the card at the branch or the print it right on the spot for you.

Does anyone have a solid plan on how to get started? I'm ready to sell EVERYTHING I own and just live 180 days here, 180 days there, and everywhere else, as long as I can have some PEACE and avoid dealing with annoying tax reports and authorities getting into my business.
Just pack your stuff and book a flight. What's the question?

Unfortunately, it’s not as simple as you’re presenting it! Sorry to say this, but if you live in Europe and cancel everything you have, you won’t have an address. Many banks ask for a utility bill of some sort and don’t accept bank statements or phone bills.

So, if you’re going down that route, you’ll need to open a bank account within the next 3 to 6 months so you have a utility bill from your current living situation. But then I wonder what happens when, a year later, they ask for a fresh utility bill to show where you live, and you can't provide one. What do you do then?

Unfortunately, it’s not as simple as you’re presenting it! Sorry to say this, but if you live in Europe and cancel everything you have, you won’t have an address. Many banks ask for a utility bill of some sort and don’t accept bank statements or phone bills.

So, if you’re going down that route, you’ll need to open a bank account within the next 3 to 6 months so you have a utility bill from your current living situation. But then I wonder what happens when, a year later, they ask for a fresh utility bill to show where you live, and you can't provide one. What do you do then?
I have enough banks in Europe, utility bill is very rare as there are household registrations. In UK yes, but they also accept bank statements as address proof, as long as you have one, you can open many more. Most of Continental Europe almost never asks for such things. Maybe some bulls banks for credit cards but that's it.

Where do you live now and where do you want to travel? I can give you do some places, you won't have issues in future.

Reactions: myshufflemix
Is there anything we should consider not listed here?

It sounds so damn easy just do let go and start a life as digital nomad, but there are so many practical things I think?
Yes, but mainly depends on your lifestyle. Some live in airport lounges and look for banks with an unlimited Pritority Pass card. Other like to rent cars, while other's travel by train and have their ways to not pay the fares.

My personal advice is to travel a lot. Pack light (you can check what you actually used when getting back home, it is ususally less than you packed). And if something does not work somewhere, don't be frustrated, try again, try in another place, try in another country, You eventually will succeed.

Reactions: joffreylol