Our valued sponsor

Gocardless credit card processing experiences

hiyongnu

May 7, 2023
Germany
Visit site
I received rejections from many credit card processing companies while looking for a credit card processor for a project related to online product sales. It is a new startup and there is no profit yet. Only Gocardless.com company approved my application. Then I checked Trustpilot a little but I saw that there were many negative comments. Has anyone worked with Gocardless before? I would be happy if you could share your thoughts.

Yes, they approved the account, we haven't integrated yet. Other companies didn't want to accept it because company is new and selling digital products (e-SIM), some of them didn't accept it because there was no monthly income yet. If we start somewhere, the monthly income will increase, then it will be easy, but nobody wants to take risks at first. Actually, it's a legal business based on eSIM.

Yes, they approved the account, we haven't integrated yet. Other companies didn't want to accept it because company is new and selling digital products (e-SIM), some of them didn't accept it because there was no monthly income yet. If we start somewhere, the monthly income will increase, then it will be easy, but nobody wants to take risks at first. Actually, it's a legal business based on eSIM.
They approved for credit cards or for their core debit direct business? Can I become eSIM tester for you?

Yes, they checked our business model and approved it, we don't see any problems for now. We haven't added the payment infrastructure to our website yet, I don't know if it will be a problem later. Thank you, of course you can when we launch our project.

I use GoCardless and they're great, for direct debit payments. They don't offer card processing, you should send support an email and clarify that because from what I've been told by them not too long ago, is that they're a direct debit processor only.
Yes, I have asked the guy twice already. Either they changed their business model or he just opened an account for something he does not want. Not sure why he is ignoring my message.

direct debit bank transfer only for Germany right ?
Guys. Please. Can you go to gocardless.com and read the page before applying or posting your stuff here, please?

GoCardless offers direct debit payments from a broad range of countries.
  • United Kingdom - Bacs Direct Debit
  • Eurozone - SEPA Direct Debit for the whole SEPA ares
  • Sweden - Bg Autogiro
  • Denmark - Betalingsservice
  • Australia - BECS Direct Debit
  • New Zealand - BECS Direct Debit
  • Canada - Pre-Authorized Debit
  • United States - ACH Debit
I am not sure what is supported in South Africa.

You may be able to add a payment processor for cards, but that is not their main business.

Apart from that why would they offer it for Germany only if there are EU directives specifically forbidding companies to distinguish between the EU country of a bank account? All EU bank accounts are equal and it is illegal to discriminate between a DE and a MT IBAN.

Last edited:
Reactions: diatessaron
But direct debit I only know from Germany therefore I was astonished to see that they can offer it as a service worldwide which they can't, but for Europe they can.

Wonder if that works with any bank and any account holder or if there are limitations.

But direct debit I only know from Germany therefore I was astonished to see that they can offer it as a service worldwide which they can't, but for Europe they can.
Wonder if that works with any bank and any account holder or if there are limitations.
Yes, but you probably know that the Bankeinzug has been discountinued over 10 years ago and that there is only SEPA Direct Debit now. It wowks with any SEPA area bank account, frictionless. Companies do have the right to discriminate non-EU IBANs (CH, etc.) but all EU bank accounts. You can check Article 9 of the EU Regulation 260/2012.

Many other countries had direct debits before the SEPA came, just like Germany did.

In the UK, there is Bacs Direct Debit, which works pretty much the same as SEPA SEPA Direct Debit. It was also in the UK where debit direct has been invented:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct_debit said:
Alastair Hanton, a British banker and maths graduate, found that traditional banking methods of paying in cheques were incredibly costly. His answer was to gain permission from customers to take payment directly from their bank account. After six years of campaigning, the high-street banks finally agreed in 1964. By the end of the decade, the savings made using this method meant that direct debit had come into general use in the UK.

In the US, it is called ACH debit. Where the Automated Clearing House is something like an automated check processing service, just without the paper. It is much more unregulated in the US, where many banks even offer end customers to pull money from their own accounts at other banks throug ACH. I.e. you can use Capital One to initiate a transfer of 200,000 USD from your HSBC account to Capital One. (This is not possible in the EU as SEPA direct debit is only offered to companies that register with their national authority first and obtain a number.)

Most other European countries are somewhat similar to the British / SEPA version as are explained here:
The article is somewhat outdated as it still lists DE, NL and IE separately, while their system has entirely been replaced by SEPA.

Yes, but you probably know that the Bankeinzug has been discountinued over 10 years ago and that there is only SEPA Direct Debit now. It wowks with any SEPA area bank account, frictionless. Companies do have the right to discriminate non-EU IBANs (CH, etc.) but all EU bank accounts. You can check Article 9 of the EU Regulation 260/2012.
https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/PDF/?uri=CELEX:32012R0260&from=EN
Does it work with Wise to any normal bank too ?