Our valued sponsor

Question French Company Intracommunity VAT

FULLVVS

Jun 8, 2024
Israel
Visit site
If I own a company in France
Can I open branches in other EU countries with my French VAT number ?
Do I need to provide any documentation for each country?
Do I need to partner with a resident in each of the countries where I need to open my branch ?

Reactions: mraleph
You have to get one vat number by country/branch. Be sure to reach the turnover threshold to get it. No need to partner in the country, unless specific business.
Real question is : do I really need a branch in each EU country ?

Do I need to partner with a resident in each of the countries where I need to open my branch ?

AFAIK there are certain threshold / requirements when you need to register for VAT in country B when you sell from country A (Within EU).

You might also check OSS with your accountant if you haven't done it already.

My Maltese LTD had to register for VAT in Germany for instance, since I had a fulfilment centre there. While I didn't need a VAT number for each country I sold my products within EU. (D2C)

You don't need to partner with a resident in each country, but it might make sense to have a partnered accountant in the desired country when reaching certain volumes in those countries.

Reactions: FULLVVS
You have to get one vat number by country/branch. Be sure to reach the turnover threshold to get it. No need to partner in the country, unless specific business.
Real question is : do I really need a branch in each EU country ?
Yes i need branches in several countries to develop my business.
So if I go to Croatia for example what documents do i need to have a company there linked to my French company ?

AFAIK there are certain threshold / requirements when you need to register for VAT in country B when you sell from country A (Within EU).

You might also check OSS with your accountant if you haven't done it already.

My Maltese LTD had to register for VAT in Germany for instance, since I had a fulfilment centre there. While I didn't need a VAT number for each country I sold my products within EU. (D2C)

You don't need to partner with a resident in each country, but it might make sense to have a partnered accountant in the desired country when reaching certain volumes in those countries.
Thank you for your reply
I plan to sell from the country where my branch is located (d2c)

So if i have a branch in Croatia i would sell from there

Are there any documents I need to bring ?

Yes i need branches in several countries to develop my business.
So if I go to Croatia for example what documents do i need to have a company there linked to my French company ?
Each country has his requirements. Most of the time a proof that you are fully registered in France. In your case at least a K-bis from the french commercial register and one office address in Croatia.
As said above an accountant in the country might be useful.

Last edited:
Each country has his requirements. Most of the time a proof that you are fully registered in FRance. In your case at least a K-bis from the french commercial register and one office address in Croatia.
As said above. An accountant in the country might be useful.
Your answer is interesting

So I can go to a bank in Croatia with my French documents as well as the documents of my company in France and my contract with a virtual office in Croatia ? Will they allow me to open a bank with them as a French resident ?

My activity is D2C

Reactions: Hera
Your answer is interesting

So I can go to a bank in Croatia with my French documents as well as the documents of my company in France and my contract with a virtual office in Croatia ? Will they allow me to open a bank with them as a French resident ?

My activity is D2C
No you can't. You have to be registered with the local register before to go to the bank. Registered as a branch.

You don't need a lawyer if you speak Croatian.
Not true

Do i need a lawyer to register a local branch in a country like Croatia ?
You need a notary, a lawyer would be overkill most likely

Once the branch has been registered. Can i then open a business bank or bank account in Croatia ?
Yes

contract with a virtual office in Croatia
Some accountants will allow you to use their address

A certified translation of the French commercial register extract

Reactions: mraleph and FULLVVS

I will not elaborate in detail as for your use case visit

and change to lang of your choice.

Your FR entity has an option to do business across EU/EEA. We have a similar situation and we are using VAT and EORI number from one EU company across EEA for EURO denominated business.

My post consider as addendum to

Not true

You need a notary, a lawyer would be overkill most likely

Yes

Some accountants will allow you to use their address

A certified translation of the French commercial register extract

Be advised of reverse charge regarding VAT whilst operating across EU.