Our valued sponsor

Business expenses on your company or personal credit card?

thomasparra

Member Plus
May 30, 2020
Visit site
Company card is more straightforward as easier to deduct expenses (the accountant will deduct all charges from the statement) compared to your personal credit card.

I get about 3.5 to 5% cashback/rewards with my personal credit card which adds up over the years when I fly and book hotels around. I also get great travel and car insurance through it, which would not work if I use the company card. Downside is that I need to reconcile all these expenses by hand and issue a director/employee reimbursement form.

I was wondering if you guys preferred to use your personal credit card vs company card for business expenses?

Reactions: mraleph
Company card is more straightforward as easier to deduct expenses (the accountant will deduct all charges from the statement) compared to your personal credit card.

I get about 3.5 to 5% cashback/rewards with my personal credit card which adds up over the years when I fly and book hotels around. I also get great travel and car insurance through it, which would not work if I use the company card. Downside is that I need to reconcile all these expenses by hand and issue a director/employee reimbursement form.

I was wondering if you guys preferred to use your personal credit card vs company card for business expenses?
I use my personal cards for cashback and then pay out the money spent in lumpsum to my personal account. In most countries it is not an issue as long as you spend personally first before you reimburse you. Most often you get better rewards and sign up bonuses for personal card than for busines cards.

Otherwise, PayPal US is 2% on the busines credit card, which is quite attractive too.

On my Wise business card I also get some cashback every months. I didn't thought about using a personal card with higher reward.
Yes, but how much? I think UK is like 0.5%

Even PayPal US credit card has 2% cash back.

Definitely prefer a personal card for the reasons you stated, and also because it can be difficult/expensive to obtain a company card. If the expense has the supporting paperwork in the director's or company's name, and it meets your jurisdiction's rules of allowed business expenses, it should be no problem using a personal card.

Reactions: thomasparra