Our valued sponsor

Opening US bank account for non-residents

edimmax

Oct 9, 2019
Visit site
Not quite sure is this question for this thread but lets try it..

Going to New York soon and have a plan to open personal bank account there. Can anyone help me which bank will accept me as a tourist with non-US adress and EU documents, actually are there any?

I will use that account for personal things such PayPal, eBay and some places where i need US card. I need account with internet banking and Visa or Mastercard debit card.

You will need to have all your KYC documents by hand, but I doubt they will open an account for you. It's worth to speak with a banker there if you are able. So you can get first hand information.

I already have US number on Google Voice so that will not be a problem! Thanx for suggestion about "freelance work", thats a good reason for an account .. i just hope i wont get in trouble with that since i am going to US like a tourist just with my passport.. i mean i dont have visa to work there (as a freelancer) ..

Money speaks, and if you can afford private banking most banks will open an account for you. Otherwise I'd recommend calling and/or checking their websites for any information regarding non-resident accounts.

OP please post here if you succeed to open an account there. I have my doubts this will work.

Bank of America is no problem. Be sure to choose a mail forwarding service that is not listed as a mail forwarding agency on the USPS website, just in case. I’ve heard that MyMallbox is good, Shipito has allegedly stopped forwarding credit cards.
The BofA statement can be used as proof of address for opening other bank accounts.
You will have to fill out a form declaring that you are not a US tax resident (I believe it’s called W-8).

Personally, I would bring to a bank the following documents.
- local id obtained from dept of motor vehicles, or some migrant card NYC hands out to anyone.
- lease, rent receipt, letters mailed and delivered to the address.
- prepaid cell phone number, not internet phone.
Once account is opened with internet access, I would add local PO Box as alt mailing address, rather than overseas address. Good idea to age account for 3-6 months. Once you collect all the documents, why not open 3 or 4 of them including local credit unions.

Last edited:
Buy US phone number, obtain mail forwarding address, have two identity documents and say that you expect some funds from the US to be received, some freelance work and you will mostly get an account without too much hassle.
if this will be no monthly contract number, is there any US GSM company that offers recharging of phone number through internet and credit card and do they have sms roaming in europe for the bank tokens ?

Idon't believe this to work, but hopefully I'm so wrong. On the other hand, if this is so easy, why is the Internet full of people seeking exactly this service. There are endless request to US bank accounts, why don't all these people not walk into a bank in the US and open the account??

Reactions: buenosdias
Idon't believe this to work, but hopefully I'm so wrong. On the other hand, if this is so easy, why is the Internet full of people seeking exactly this service. There are endless request to US bank accounts, why don't all these people not walk into a bank in the US and open the account??
They want to do it remotely.
It also might be harder for people from non western countries.

They want to do it with minimal effort/time and without building up local infrastructure. US accounts of foreign citizens with foreign addresses will always carry different risk classification. The will be continually asked to provide more info and paperwork until new rules are issued followed by higher bank maintenance cost and they will ultimately get closed..

Latest Threads